Did you mean: 
normanmclean
Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: OPTING OUT!!! HOW?

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

@normanmclean wrote:

Seriously? Surely you don't have to recontract to get LESS than you are getting now if downgrading?

I already have BT TV  (Essentials) so am a little confused as to why they sent me an email saying it will cost me £5 to get the new channel from August.

If downgrading to BT Sport Lite they are getting less channels but a larger discount (£5 larger).

If a customer doesn't want BT Sport nor BT Sport Lite they need to cancel, not downgrade.

If you have BT TV you shouldn't be charged for BT Sport. However, do you currently have BT Sport enabled on BT TV or Sky or neither?

I currently have BT Sport via Sky.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution
Go to the downgrade page link posted earlier in this thread.
Go down to the Frequently Asked Questions.
Go to the 2nd question about viewing the BT Sport pack.
Under the Sky satellite section it says that if you have BT TV then the BT Sport pack on Sky is free.

It looks to me like the system has sent you that e-mail in error due to you having BT Sport registered on Sky? I would certainly query it with BT as according to the FAQ you shouldn't have to pay £5, downgrade, or cancel.
popshot
Contributor
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

As has been said, if you downgrade to lite BT will place you on a new 12 month contract - watch out if you signed up on an offer! The only way to keep your current contract term and price is to dial 150, say "cancel" when prompted, and remove ALL BT sport. This is not well advertised by BT and is certain to anger a great many who downgrade via the web only to find out they've signed up again. The only reason any of us came to BT was the sport as the broadband is usually cheaper elsewhere barring special offers. When those contracts end BT will loose a great many broadband customers as not allowing downgrades without new contracts has seriously angered us. Frankly I would question it's legality. Even if legal it's a morally repugnant way to treat customers and is the best advert for Talktalk and Sky I've seen.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:
Go to the downgrade page link posted earlier in this thread.
Go down to the Frequently Asked Questions.
Go to the 2nd question about viewing the BT Sport pack.
Under the Sky satellite section it says that if you have BT TV then the BT Sport pack on Sky is free.

It looks to me like the system has sent you that e-mail in error due to you having BT Sport registered on Sky? I would certainly query it with BT as according to the FAQ you shouldn't have to pay £5, downgrade, or cancel.

Thanks for pointing out this link.

Eventually got through, and changed to BT Sport Lite. Met with some mild, but at least polite, resistance trying to persuade me to order BT Vision..... But it's not much use here, on a relay transmitter.  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution
@popshot,

As was shown on the other thread, those downgrading online aren't forced to re-contract broadband in a hidden manner. They are clearly given the option of re-contracting or not. If they just want to see out their current broadband contract minimum term with BT Sport Lite @ £0 for that period then they don't need to re-contract. If they are planning on viewing BT Sport Lite longer term or they are already outside of their broadband minimum term then they may choose to re-contract to get the full BT Sport discount in future.

The concept of customers having to be within a broadband contract minimum term in order to get the fully discounted BT Sport has been in place from launch for the last 2 years, so is nothing new.

I don't agree with some of the cases you hear about of hard selling by BT sales reps, but that's a different issue.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution
Note also that if a customer downgrading to BT Sport Lite chooses not to re-contract broadband now, then BT would I expect remind them again close to the end of their minimum term. That's how things have generally worked in the past.

BT Sport Lite is not relevant to BT TV customers.
0 Ratings
popshot
Contributor
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

I spoke to Jane and Donna at BT and Jane spoke extensively to her manager whilst I was placed on hold. That particular call lasted about 40 minutes. I was told categorically that downgrading to lite would start a new contract and there was no option not to. Having to re-contract is BT's own information, not mine.

The manner is most certainly "hidden" in that you can choose no new contract on one page but can not complete the deal without ticking the box agreeing to your contract starting asap. If a contract starts asap then it is a new contract.

If I am wrong on this then two massive points are generated.

1. Why are you required to tick a box accepting a new contract?

2. Why have several BT staff including a manager insisted that a new contract is needed.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution
As far as I can see, those non BT TV customers staying on the full BT Sport pack at the partially discounted rate of £5 don't have to be within a broadband minimum term to qualify for that discount, they just have to have BT broadband? Maybe someone else could confirm that?

I also assume that those with BT TV don't need to be within a broadband minimum term to get the fully discounted BT Sport pack. That was the case starting from a year ago. I have BT TV with BT Sport but haven't received any e-mail about any changes.
0 Ratings
popshot
Contributor
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

I am unhappy at both BT's decision to charge but also and mostly at the unprofessional way this whole thing has been dealt with. Nobody from BT appears to be patrolling these boards with definitive answers. Is that really too much to expect?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

@popshot wrote:

The manner is most certainly "hidden" in that you can coose no new contract on one page but can not complete the deal without ticking the box agreeing to your contract starting asap. If a contract starts asap then it is a new contract.

Is it the BT Broadband or BT Sport Lite contract that it's saying will start asap?

I was going by the online downgrade process description here by another customer. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, or that poster misunderstood it?

Is it giving you the option of taking a new broadband contract or not (assuming you are still within your minimum term), or is it a mandatory authorisation box that must be ticked to continue?

I haven't seen it for myself as I'm on BT TV, so I'm happy to be corrected if wrong about anything.

One thing is certain, BT like to keep things complicated and confuse everybody. 

0 Ratings