cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Observations since switching from Sky

I've switched from Sky also and basically BT is a good few years behind sorting these sorts of problems out. I have issues with my box switching to 720p every time it is power cycled so I can't use eco mode. I also can not get 5.1 surround and have no idea why. Sky is a better and more refined platform but at the end of the day BT provides an accpetible service for me given it's 1/3 the price. I was happy paying for Sky until they wanted to put the price up to £38 a month and then I said enough is enough. 

On my box when you search it comes back with onine or live EPG selections, it does not search the planner, I think Sky does this but it's easy enough to do manually from MyView.

The Sky on demand download feature is quite good admittedly, however they only do it since it is also limited to 3Mbps if I remember correctly ( I timed it once) This is just Sky perpetuating the myth that IPTV is not as good as Satellite 

I do miss the backup button that remembers where you where, I also keep pressing the Back buttong to remove the onscreen display, which on the BT box takes you back to the planner ! annoying but Sky probably spent millions designing their remote control and UI, hence why they feel justified to fleece their customers for ever after.

I've noticed that Sky had much better Channel 4 catch up streaming, however since I have a freesat box I generally record stuff I want to watch live any way. so not too much of an issue. The Subscription channel catch up on BT Player is pretty good quality.

The things I really would like to see are:

-planner browsing/ remote control from app as per Sky I.E a direct connection to the box

-web based EPG with remote recording

-more accurate EPG descriptions with consistantly correct Series and Episode numbers ( although can still use Sky App for Disocvery etc)

-some thing seems wrong with my Dolby 5.1 output, I've started a thread about this.

Basically I am more than happy with the BT box, the picture quality is as good as Sky was as far as I can tell, and it has the channels I want and i basically reliable and a lot better value. BT support is pretty dire if you get put through to India, however I never needed to call Sky so not sure if it's fare to compare them here.

IPTV doesn't suffer from rain faid either so that's a bonus, the infinity line is rock solid:-)

0 Ratings
junglemusic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

@Wilf - you mention that no TV broadcast is 1080p. I don't think that's true. Upstairs I have a TV with an aerial and when you press the 'info' button it gives details on the broadcast it is receiving. Eg now I'm watching BBC Breakfast and it says 1080i. If I turn over to BBC2 (HD), some program called Royal Recipes is on and the stream is showing as 1080p.
0 Ratings
junglemusic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Just googled it and it looks like they started braodcasting some programs on Freeview at 1080P back in 2011. So I'm assuming it must be commonplace by now

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 14 of 16

You will see either 1080/50i or 108025p which essentially require the same bandwidth.  The BBC do not broadcast 1080/50p which is only usually available on things like BluRay.

0 Ratings
MitoMan
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 16

-planner browsing/ remote control from app as per Sky I.E a direct connection to the box

-web based EPG with remote recording /

You can get a Youview app via the Google Play store, i use it and it's really good. You can also get one for your Freesat box , both are very easy to use. Hope this is of some help.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 16 of 16

yes I've got the BT TV app, and it basically works. On sky the app would connect directly to the Sky box and I could browse recordings and use it as a remote control.

That's the old Sky HD I don't know what the new Q box does, I think you can stream from it to you mobile, but again that's Sky trying to un-invent the internet IMHO.

0 Ratings