cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Occasional very poor speeds (helping my mum remotely)

Go to solution

My mum has a Home Hub 2.0, firmware 8.1.H.J (Type A).

I've tried to help her over the phone, but without much success. I'm here for the day so can post her ADSL stats, but am unlikely to be here too often, so forgive me if I'm only able to add new information to this thread over a period of months!

A couple of months ago her speeds dropped to sub dial up (about 30kbps) for a few weeks. BT said there was nothing wrong with her line. She had an engineer booked to come out, but the speeds increased before he arrived, so I advised her to cancel his visit. (They then charged her for the call out, but she eventually got them to admit he didn't come.)

Her speeds are pretty poor anyway (about 2 Mbps) but I think that's all BT said she'd be able to get. Her PC and BluRay player are connected to the Home Hub with ethernet cables, and I only turn wireless on when I'm here and want to connect with my iPod.

What I'd like to know is: is there anything we can do to improve her speeds in general? Here are her stats. is there anything there that looks odd? I notice it gives the downstream as 3Mbps, but I've never got over 2 in tests.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time8 days, 10:50:24
Downstream3,136 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.6 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.0 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.6 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)31472003 / 158
CRC Errors (Down/Up)3531 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 101
Error Seconds (Local)2837

I've not looked at a Home Hub before, and don't know what the errors mean.

She doesn't have any handsets connected to her router, but I see that the talk features are set up. Is that a problem? I can see lots of odd VOIP entries in the event log such as the ones below:

VOIP: [2.0A] [441438793712] [FXS DECT1 DECT2 DECT3 DECT4 DECT5] REGISTER - SIP message sent

VOIP: [2.0A] [441438793712] [FXS DECT1 DECT2 DECT3 DECT4 DECT5] 401 Unauthorized - SIP message received

Also, there's this from last night. No one was making any manual changes to the router, though I may have been connected wirelessly on my iPod Touch:

22:34:56  21 MayUPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.66 (Success)
22:34:53  21 MayUPnP action 'AddPortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.66 (Success)
22:34:50  21 MayUPnP action 'DeletePortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.66 (Success)
22:34:49  21 MayUPnP action 'DeletePortMapping' from ip=192.168.1.66 (Success)

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Occasional very poor speeds (helping my mum remotely)

Go to solution
I should have said, I've looked into getting my mum one of these BT Accelerators in the past, but she have an old fasioned socket so can't use one. There's no test socket i can use.

I've found a photo online which looks like her socket. It's the one on the left in this photo:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/shoresy/Misc/DSCF1817.jpg

I've read that I'm not allowed to replace this old socket.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Hi your hub stats look ok connection speeds a little low as to the iplate unless shehas extensions it is un nessasary and indeed in somecases cause moreproblemsthen it is worth to see if there isany other problems couldyou please run the btspeedtest. Speedtester,BT,com and post back the full results
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Here are the speedtest results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2278 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3136 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
hi your connection speed and ip profile match and your download speed is fine at this time your connection and speed is fine
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks both. Good to know there's nothing out of the ordinary. If her speeds plummet again I'll now have something to use as a baseline.
0 Ratings