cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gilgongo
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Odd wiring issue - help!

I have two places in my house where phone wires seem to come in from the outside. One downstairs, one upstairs. The one upstairs appears to be where the BT main wire comes in (from a telegraph pole accross the road). However, it's not terminated with a socket, it just has a plastic box covering a bunch of messy wires tied up with insulating tape. Heres a photo (ignore the wire on the left of the photo, that's an Ethernet cable just sharing the box - I shall deal with that separately):

http://bayimg.com/CAOPFaAEA

It seems to be wired to two other wires: one goes up to the loft (where there is phone socket, which works), the other goes down the outside of the house and back in through the wall to a standard socket. 

A few weeks ago, I noticed the broadband going down when it rained, so I took the cover off and poked about and it got worse. Now the phone itself is iffy (not taking incoming calles, engaged tone on dial out). 

Am I right in thinking I need a proper BT socket for this? If so, can I wire it up myself or do I have to get a BT engineer in, and if I do, how many (to the nearst thousand) pounds will that cost do you think?

If I can wire it up myself, what type of box do I need to take the master wire as well as what looks like two exentensions? 

Thanks for any help...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
artful42
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Odd wiring issue - help!

You'll need openreach engineer to sort this as it is not up to standards and is wired wrong your drop wire front the outside is split here to two separate locations which will affect your broadband.
0 Ratings
gilgongo
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

OK good.

BTW, my wife reported a fault with the line on Monday (using the online reporter) which is still saying "open" and says they've yet to conduct a full test. So that's almost a week and no response from BT yet.

Let's be frank - I'm fully expecting it to take weeks, possibly months, before I can get an engineer to visit. Right now, I can't even find any way of requesting an Openrech person to come - do you know how?

0 Ratings
artful42
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I've never used the online system, just rung the standard call centre, they've always done a line test there and then and advised depending on the results. Sometimes there test comes back ok but you can say there is a fault and you need an engineer to visit. I usually phone mid morning or mid afternoon and get through quite quick.
0 Ratings
gilgongo
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

OK I'll try that (151 I assume?) - wish me luck! 

Thanks for your help by the way - much appreciated. The BT website, and BT themselves, are just so monumentally confusing, complicated and customer unfriendly. It's only a dodgy wiring situation, yet dealing with it just makes me feel helpless and and lost. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

the wiring is of a very low standard and needs Openreach intervention once through to faults request an engineer you will advised of charges but in your case the do not apply
0 Ratings