cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Oh woe is me , or at least my broadband connection is .

You might want to make a cuppa as this is a long-ish story ...

i previously had a thread on here about a new build house but some of those details were incorrect .

So , 

Having spent the last four years living abroad upon coming home it's come to my attention that my house has had a silver connection ever since it was built , 2010 ish  . 

When we arrived to the UK i was temporarily living in a flat which could recieve fibre infinity 1 , when ordering this i told BT that i thought there was an issue with my house an lo and behold the nice chap at BT movers team agreed.  He then started a 'new line' instalation to find out what the issue was so an BT openreach engineer ws booked . I will also add i could never find my house on the bt Checker drop down menu , after the engineers were done it appeared magically , literally out of thin air,  but with two names , one correct the other not , agter a day or so the wrong named house vanished .

I was in the house at this time when the engineers arrived and after some investigation they found :

Wrong routng number for my house 

I can and should be able to get fibre as they physically were there to check

I am only 421 metres from the Exchange Ayton ( td145rl ) ( fibre enabled )

MNy next door neighbour has a line from his house to a DP on  pole ( his house was built in 1790 ) 

My cable goes up the drive right next door to him and was cored in to a box on the ground , five metres away from his DP 

So happy me about being fibre enabled  !

But not so fast ,  according to the bt checker only copper is avaiable .

hmm, i actually met the same engineers a few days later , being in the sticks - ish and all and we got chatting and again he said that there was no reason my house should not get fibre . Speaking to bt movers and they can't work this out either .

Other points :

My line does not havce a cabinet number , my bt mover chap was confused at this as well .

My line checker says that i have a bridge tap :u   <---- thats not an emoji by the way .

I will add that in every call to bt and the movers team they have been great , engineers included , but i think now i'm going to be hitting a brick wall as BT can't call out an engineer and BT openreach are very hard to reach .

I will also add that i contacted BT openreach before and an email pinged back saying my area is not fibre enabled but it is as i drive past it every day .  Also the Bt oenreach engineer said all EO lines have been upgraded to fibre and FTTC etc.

I suppose now i'm really wondering if i need to wait for the USO and get movement on this or is there a way to speak to someone ( engineer etc ) to be able  to find out the technical reason why i can't get fibre .

Best regards ,

Andrew .

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Oh woe is me , or at least my broadband connection is .

If you are on EO line, fibre won't be available to you, is there a green cabinet outside the exchange?

If you are that close to the exchange ADSL2+ will be be pretty fast.

Put your phone number in the checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results after editing out your number from the screenshot. If you know your neighbour's number with fibre please post that as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Thanks liquorice,
I'll post tomorrow once I get onto my laptop.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Good morning Loquorice,

Here are the details of my connection plus another couple of things that may or may not ! be relevant 🙂

peelwalls dsl check.jpgJopeelwallsstravaigcompare.jpgstravaigbtmap.jpgstravigdslcheck.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

here are the photos of the two green boxes outside the exchange,  the main one sits on the same side of the road as the exchange , the other smaller one sits accross the road from the exchange.biggreenbox.jpgsmall green box.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Could be a database issue.

Are you connected to a different DP to that of your neighbour?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Hi Wendy ,

That I'm not sure about , but I just wonder if it is something as simple as that , as per the engineers repeatedly telling me that I should be good to go.

I suppose I'm at the point now though where I can't really do anything else but try to keep asking questions and hopefully get to the bottom of the issue or at least get one answer that solves the conundrum as to why I'm getting conflicting information .

I'll add that I realise that many people aren't even as fortunate to get decent copper speeds but my other thought is that I would be a bit miffed for my kids if it turns out years down the line that a simple solution was to be had ! 🙂

Andrew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Simple = as in database issue 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 15

Hi @Dadofjack and thanks for posting.

Is the address correct on the royal mail checker?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Hi David,

When the engineers first came to Stravaig to check the line , they said about the routing number being wrong but also for all time i have never been able to get Stravaig in the drop down menu in the broadband bt checker .

After they worked their magic , for a day i had two addresses , one wrong : Strvaig , and the other correct one : Stravaig .

After a day the wrong one was deleted .

My address via the royal mail checker is correct

0 Ratings