cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Ok, so had infinity installed today, but...

Ok, I thought this would be easier to explain in diagram form, so this was my setup with ADSL until this morning:

When the engineer came, I explained that I couldn't have the modem and hub at the existing master socket, and he agreed to move the master socket to the existing internal extension,m making the master socket a blanking plate (as it was never used anyway) and simply joining the wires behind. 

Except that the existing wiring didn't go straight from the master socket to the extension, it went via the monitored burglar alarm first, which was connected by microfilter (provided by the alarm company).  I told the engineer about the alarm, but he said he didn't think it would be a problem.

After an hour or so, the setup looks like this:

The infinity works great, speed and stability are perfect. Smiley Very Happy Except neither the phone or the alarm get a dial tone. Smiley Sad  I suspect this is because the alarm is now connected "behind" the master socket (ie: before the filter).  

Would this be right? If yes, what would need to be done? Will I have to get the BT engineer out again?

Thanks,

Liam

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ok, so had infinity installed today, but...

I'm not sure microfilters are needed with Infinity - might be a simple wiring issue - was the phone working OK when the engineer was there?

My dialing tone disappeared a couple of days after my Infinity install, I reported it via the web, and it was sorted - think it was to do with connections in the cabinet.

I'm probably all wrong and the smarter people on here will set you right when they are up and about Smiley Very Happy!

G

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi and thanks for replying. 

I know microfilters aren't needed with Infinity, but the engineer said it being there wouldn't cause a problem (it just wouldn't be doing any filtering).

However it's the fact the alarm is now connected "before" the master socket that I think is causing the problem. 

No the phone wasn't working when the engineer was here, he said it would be activated at the exchange sometime yesterday.  Then last night I got a txt to say the order was complete and the phone/broadband etc should be working. 

Like I said - broadband is working great, just not the phone.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

monitor.JPG

Hi,

I'm not a telecoms guy, but your finished system looks very similar to our "star wired" system. You should really end up with the cable to the master socket being uninterupted, and all other wiring coming out of the "back" of the socket to the slave sockets. As long as the cable to the monitored alarm is 2 cores - the technician should be able to use the existing four core cables.

As your phone doesn't work you are justified in getting them back to correct the work - in our system we had dial tone but whenwe answered the upstairs phone (which didn't ring) it cut off the broadband!

Rather than hit your head against a brick wall, contact the mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they are very busy but should come back to you within 72 hours

Michael

Edit - the connection with the micro filter shouldn't be there, but couldn't delete in in my drawing program.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Ok thanks, I have contacted the mods. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. 

I'd rather get the engineer out and have it done properly than start messing around with it myself.  Maybe I'm not even allowed to touch it now, as almost all the internal wiring is now before the master socket?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

monitor 1.jpg

Hi,

Getting the hang of my drawing package now - hope this expands on my earlier effort. No it is best not to mess yourself - the guy should have left it correct when he left - sounds as if was out of his league and made the first excuse that came into his head - have you been with BT all the time?

Let us know how you get on - please be aware I am not a telecoms person, so the above drawing might not be 100% - it is only my interpretation of what happened at our house with a second telephone rather than a monitored alarm - the guy who finally sorted it out did say that filters should not be used on an infinity network.

Michael

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

ok looks good, I'll try that...  I'll wait for Bt to get in touch..

Thanks mate

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

A very nice moderator replied, and BT engineer's coming tomorrow to sort it out. 

Thanks for all the help guys.

Liam

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Well after a moderator made an apointment for an engineer to come today between 1 and 6, I took a half day from work, went home and waited and no engineer even so much as called to say they couldn't make it. Common decency would dictate this would be the least I could expect, no? 

So I call BT customer services, only to get someone on the other side of the world who doesn't really know what I'm talking about.  Apparently an engineer will call me?

I'm starting to think I've made a mistake coming back to BT... 14 day cooling off period you say?

Liam

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

No cooling off period. But if the engineer didn't turn up, you'll need to go back to your moderator, and then they intern will have to give OR a good talking to!
0 Ratings