cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Old BT box in renovation property - can this be removed?

Go to solution

Hello,

I am in the process of renovating a property. I have just ordered FTTP, I believe this includes a phone on it?

The property has an old BT box in the lounge, with three cables that go through the wall and up the door frame for the front door, in to a secondary box, and then outside of the property. I am getting this front door replaced (including the frame).

My questions are:

1. Is this BT property?

2. can I remove this box and cabling given that I have ordered the FTTP with a phone? (which will be fitted in a different room).

3. What is the secondary box on the door frame?

I have attached some photos of this, and would appreciate some advice on what I can and cannot do in this situation.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Chris.Old BT box (lounge)Old BT box (lounge)

Cabling tracking down doorway in hall (then through wall to lounge box)Cabling tracking down doorway in hall (then through wall to lounge box)

Secondary box that cables connect to, and then are routed out of the house.Secondary box that cables connect to, and then are routed out of the house.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Old BT box in renovation property - can this be removed?

Go to solution

@RealWelshCJ 

It would be an old BT installation. The incoming network cabling to the master socket, would be the property of Openreach, so you would need to get that moved by Openreach, or a competent telephone technician. Openreach would charge for this, and it would have to be arranged via your provider.

I assume that you do not have any current provider? If you do, then be aware if you damage their equipment, you are likely to be charged.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks,

I will have a chat to OpenReach about it. Seems mad that they've brought it in that way in the first place rather than just going through the wall. That box on the door frame has to be removed as that door frame is going.

I have an engineer visiting shortly for the fibre so will ask him about it then.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The box on the door frame is from GPO days and would have been where the external cable connected to the internal cable(s).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Years ago cables through door or window frames used to be an acceptable method of providing a line but isn’t anymore ...is any of this currently working ?
If you are getting FTTP, is it with DV ( digital voice ) , if it is the copper line won’t be needed and a new fibre connection will be provided, if the voice element is over copper you could ask for a combined fibre /copper dropwire to be used this should allow all this old legacy cabling to be removed.

FWIW, if it were a more common  situation where  someone was replacing a door where the existing wire had to be moved because it was through the frame, it would be chargeable, but not in this case

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks all,

I have contacted OpenReach (bit of a long hold though). This is classed as redundant so in my case they will remove for free as I have already arranged for the FTTP to be installed.

Thanks,

CJ.

0 Ratings