Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notsodaftdanny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Old wirig

Go to solution

The BT line from the telegraph pole (replaced about 10 years ago) enters my two storey house at the eaves, goes down in to the loft and then runs the whole length, out the other side through an air vent, down the outside wall and in to the garage and then in to the house and the BT master socket. The run is probably about 100ft and there are few old junction boxes underneath all the loft insulation and boxes in my loft plus the section which is exposed to the elements has lost part of the protective sheath. The wire must be at least 40 years old and rather than replace the existing run, I feel it would be better to re-site the master socket in the room below where the phone wire enters the property. My reckoning is that by cutting out the ancient wire and junction boxes as well as shortening the run I would achieve a more stable broadband signal. I am on fibre broadband and as the crow  flys less than half a mile from. The BT green box. I am prepared to pay for this but would it make a significant difference ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Old wirig

Go to solution

Think this thread is getting dizzy Smiley Very Happy

i think it you would improve your fibre connection by doing as you have suggested - shortening cable length and cutting out some old junction boxes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Notsodaftdanny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
What would BT charge for re-routing the line and installing a new master socket? £130 or so?
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Around about that price.

0 Ratings
Notsodaftdanny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5