cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Koocha
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

On Demand adverts?

I've recently moved from Sky to BT. Overall the service is fine - the biggest disappointment by far is the adverts with the on demand. Sky doesn't have any adverts with its on demand.

Is there a subscription/bolt on which will get rid of the adverts?

Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: On Demand adverts?

I believe this is because on Youview the core catch-up players (BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5) are provided for free. Even if you cancel your BT TV subscription in future those catch-up players will still work. They also work on retail Youview boxes where the customer is not paying any subscription. I assume they are funded by the advertising.

On the older BT Vision platform the catch-up players are provided as part of the subscription. If you stop the subscription they stop working. This means the provider can remove adverts if they wish to, and BT do remove them on the BT Vision platform. Note though that the selection of catch-up programmes on BT Vision is I believe more restricted than that on Youview. So Youview customers win on that front. Not sure about on Sky.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

The 7 day catch up is supplied by the broadcaster, not BT. The reason they're free is because of the adverts. Take them away and you would have to pay for the service, like you would have done with Sky.

Personally they don't bother me, the adverts are few and far between and usually there is only 2/3 adverts lasting about a minute in total, unlike live TV where they go on for 4/5 minutes..........
0 Ratings
cthatcham
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

So far (with 4OD) they helpfully give you a countdown to when the programme will start again, so you know if there is time to make a brew or just put the cat out....!

0 Ratings