cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

On Demand usually requires a reboot

Is it normal for the Humax DTR-T1000 to need rebooting every couple of days to be able to watch anything On Demand? Most of the time, when I start to play an On Demand programme (whether it's catch-up TV or something from the BT Vision library), it'll just hang on the 'pulsing dots' screen as it tries to start playing. I'll sometimes be able quit back out to the TV picture, but usually I just have to power cycle the box. And then it'll play On Demand absolutely flawlessly, both SD and HD - for a day or two. And then it'll happen again.

The box is absolutely perfect as a PVR, it's never missed a recording and everything else behaves really well. It's just On Demand that's the problem. Clearly there's nothing wrong with my (15Mbps) LAN cabled internet connection, because rebooting the box always cures it instantly. Seems to me more like poor software in the box.

Is this is a known software issue? Is it something likely to be fixed in an update? Anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: On Demand usually requires a reboot

I was just about to post the very same thing. I have just tried to use ITV Player and the box just sits on the Please Wait... screen. A quick power cycle and everything works again. 

The only difference is that I have the new G4 box, so maybe it is a software problem across all Humax boxes? 

The same thing happens if you try to access on demand via the guide. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Oh well, I won't bother upgrading my box to the G4 as a potential solution then!

Does anyone know what is the best kind of full factory reset, and how to do it? I've heard there's one where you can keep your recordings, but there aren't many recordings on my box at the moment, so I wouldn't mind losing them if a full reset is going to cure the problem (which I'm sure it won't).

I may as well pre-empt what BT will tell me to do before they consider replacing the box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

I have the same occasional problem I think it us just a fault

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

The problem is, I only used to have to reboot the box once every couple of weeks, then I found myself having to do it every week, and now it seems I can't play On Demand unless I reboot it every couple of days. In fact, I usually reboot it before attempting to watch anythnig On Demand now because I know it probably won't work. Good job we don't watch much On Demand really, otherwise it would be way more annoying than it already is. The problem definitely seems to be getting worse.

Such a shame, because it's great as a PVR. Everything else works really well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, I checked your thread - I don't ever see an error message on my box, although apart from that the problem does sound similar.

For me at least, it almost seems like it's a memory problem. After the box has been on for a couple of days, the On Demand players just don't seem to load properly. After the reboot to get it working again, the menus (e.g. navigating through BT Vision menus) are slightly quicker (for a day or two, at least). So it does seem like a memory management problem. Therefore I'm hoping it's something that will improve with software updates, rather than it being a faulty box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Why do BT seem to find it so difficult to address the problems customers often have with the on-demand services?

The BT Vision+ box forum is full of posts about similar problems with the New Look Linux based system (interestingly often with the BBC iPlayer on that box).

The BT Youview+ box unfortunately seems to also suffer from similar on-demand problems (from reading this forum). It is probably linking up with the same Linux based on-demand system on the server-side.

E.g. See this post from about 6 months ago.

Whether the problems are caused primarily by the software on the boxes or the software on the servers I don't know. Possibly both? Either way a very large corporation like BT should certainly have the resources to investigate the problems and apply the necessary solutions. Weeks, months (even well over a year on the BT Vision+ boxes) go by and nothing seems to change. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

The sad thing is, my old silver BT Vision box (which I 'decommissioned' when I got the YouView box) was absolutely rock solid. It may not have been HD, but the menus were lightning quick compared to the YouView box, and it never let me down. OK, so there were no fancy, graphical menus on the BT Player (which, incidentally, are very slow and clumsy to navigate in my opinion), but it was so quick and easy to check what was available On Demand and everything streamed flawlessly. I think I only had to reset it a couple of times in the few years that I had it. I'm beginning to wish I had it back now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

One more thing - I don't actually think I've got a faulty box. I get the feeling that's just the way it is. In fact, having read these forums for quite some time now, I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones if I only have to give it a quick reboot every few days!! If I ask BT for a replacement, chances are the next box will be even worse.

0 Ratings