cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

One house - Two Hubs?

Hello, I have a BT openreach modem with a home hub 5 but I get terrible signal on the other side of my house. 

Is it possible to connect another home hub 5 to the modem/current home hub and have it run an ethernet cable to the other side of the house and be able to use the ports and wifi on that side of the house? Is it possible to have them both be on the same network do I do not need to which between the routers manually as I move around the house? 

Thank you! 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: One house - Two Hubs?

Why don't you just get a decent 3rd pary router to connect to the Openreach modem? Your house can't be that big.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Sorry but that is not a terribly helpful reply, unless you do indeed have an answer to my question.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

Hi,

Seems to me it was a perfectly logical answer to the question.  Hubs don't have exactly the best or most stable wireless signal, despite what the advertised claims are.

My third party router is at the front of the house down stairs, the wireless signal upstairs at the back of the house transfers data faster than my 80/20 sync infinity 2 connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 12

@A_Dandy wrote:
Sorry but that is not a terribly helpful reply, unless you do indeed have an answer to my question.

OK I'll try and do better.

If you wish to connect a pile of carp the the pile of carp you already have then yes, it is possible.

Your call.

NB I would've said **bleep** but I think the swear filter would rule it out. Have a nice day.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

Thank you for the helpful reply Liam, I saw a topic where other routers are discussed, seems like that might be an option I should consider. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 12

Sorry if I misled you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Opinions over the quality of the product aside, then yes it is entirely possible.

- Before the second hub is connected, change the IP address on it from 192.168.1.254 to something else e.g., 119.168.1.253. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. When you change the IP address you'll lose connectivity to it, so will need to reconnect via the new IP address you've given it.

- Disable the DHCP server on the second Hub

- Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the yellow LAN ports on hub 1 to one of the yellow LAN ports on hub 2

Some people change the WiFi name to be the same in the view they simply connect to the one closest. I prefer using separate names for separate access points as it's then clear which you're connected to. 

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Its possible to configure another home hub to act as just a WiFi access point. Ive done this is my home.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

@smf22 wrote:

Opinions over the quality of the product aside, then yes it is entirely possible.

- Before the second hub is connected, change the IP address on it from 192.168.1.254 to something else e.g., 119.168.1.253. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. When you change the IP address you'll lose connectivity to it, so will need to reconnect via the new IP address you've given it.

- Disable the DHCP server on the second Hub

- Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the yellow LAN ports on hub 1 to one of the yellow LAN ports on hub 2

Some people change the WiFi name to be the same in the view they simply connect to the one closest. I prefer using separate names for separate access points as it's then clear which you're connected to. 

Note the deliberate mistake in the IP address. The above should read 192.168.1.253 and not 119.168.1.253.

Regards

0 Ratings