cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjfir
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

One red bar playing Black ops

I have a Homehub 2 and every night about this time my connection drops to one red bar and this makes playing impossible, my internet connection is fine on the laptop and on the tv screen it says my NAT settings are open, I have no problems during the day until this time.  I have reset the router and tested connection which is saying fine and I have even run an ethernet cable from the xbox to the router.  Can anyone help please!!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: One red bar playing Black ops

The red dot signal indicator in black ops shows your connection to the host of the game there could be numerous thing that are preventing a good connection i.e ping, broadband speed, etc, etc.....

I would suggest posting your router stats so we can see your connection quality, also a ping test from http://www.pingtest.net/ and maybe a speed test which can be done a couple of ways with www.speedtester.bt.com and www.speedtest.net

0 Ratings
sjfir
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the quick reply, I have added below the details.  The problem is that is something that regularly happens at this time and my connection on the laptop is not affected only xbox live and the rest of the time I have no issues.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/32395892.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1114535597.png

Connection information

Line stateConnected

Connection time

0 days, 0:53:50
Downstream1,312 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)15.2 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1040 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)703
0 Ratings
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Your ping is fine from the look of it, your a very long way from the exchange going by the line attenuation , and your connection speed is well below the UK average, this could be due to your distance from the exchange or you have noise on the line if you dial 17070 and press option 2 if you hear anything then you have noise on your line if its silent then it's distance thing and not much you can do about it what I find amazing is that your on a fast latency type which i've not seen on such a slow connection it should be on interleaved.

just out of curiosity do you have any other phone sockets in your home besides the master socket

0 Ratings
sjfir
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

one other upstairs though it's not used, also I live in the country at the edge of the limit for the exchange, though we are getting infinity in the next couple of months. It's just strange that if I am playing on xbox and suffer lag then when I leave game and go online I don't have same problem though when I do a speed test the connection will not be constant and usually comes out at around 600-760 kbps.

0 Ratings
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

do you have microfilters on both sockets as this will severly affect your broadband

did you do the quiet line test using the 17070 option 2

internet browsing use's less bandwidth than online gaming although microsoft say xbox live will run on a half mb line but this is most likely the extreme minimum I still get lag on a 8mb connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
sjfir
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Sorry for not replying sooner, I tried the line test and to be honest I'm not sure how quiet it should be, as I listened it sounded like very light wind with little static.

What should I be hearing?

Thanks

0 Ratings
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

you should hear nothing sounds like you may have noise on the line 

you may want to try the bt accelerator plate/i-plate I have one and it works a  right treat depending on your circumstances it could up your bb speed mine was increased by 2.5 Mb

0 Ratings
sjfir
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the help, I looked at the I-plate and found I couldn't use it.  I spoke to BT and I'm getting infinity at the start of Feb so I can tolerate it until then.

0 Ratings
mcpaddy
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

fair one buddy good luck

0 Ratings