cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Ongoing problems with BT Infinity connection and speed

Trying the forum in desperation as we are getting nowhere via the normal channels for dealing with faults and we are hoping that one of the BT staff on the forum will intervene.

We moved to BT from Talk Talk some weeks ago, having had problems with both our internet and phone connection. We signed up for calls and Infinity broadband, and paid for the installation of a new line and a brand new Home Hub 5.

I won't bore everyone with the saga of missed engineer appointments, atrocious customer service, endless delays etc etc while this was being set up, as I am well aware that this is "normal service" for BT. Eventually we did get everything sorted - or so we thought......

When the broadband engineer left, everything seemed to be working ok and we had a download speed of about 38 (max possible is 40, so we were very pleased). However, all went rapidly downhill, with the speed reducing as the days went by and our old problem of losing the connection returning, only more frequently. (Power light on hub flashes orange, then eventually goes blue again). In addition, we continued to have our intermittent problem with the phone cutting out, again worse this time, sometimes for hours, usually preceded by a crackly line and ominous-sounding clicks. This only happens every now and then, and is much less frequent than the broadband cutting out, so we are not sure whether they are related.

We reported the phone fault on-line on 26.04.14 and were quite impressed when an engineer turned up on our doorstep two days later (albeit with no notice that he was coming, but this is BT after all!) He tested all aspects of our line and found absolutely nothing wrong ("all green ticks"). Although he was not a broadband engineer, he ran an official BT test and confirmed that our speed was 2. He said that there was definitely something "major" wrong with our broadband and that we should phone up and get an engineer to visit. He said it was possible that the broadband problem was affecting our phone line. I sensed that he may have been clutching at straws, as whenever he said that our phone line was "fine", I reminded him that it wasn't, because we kepy getting cut off!

If only that were possible. On phoning customer services, I got the usual call centre waffle, with which I am unfortunately very familiar, having spent hours on the phone to India trying to get our service started in the first place. The lady said she would "alter some things at her end", after which we would see an increase in speed and our connection would stop dropping out. To her credit, she did call me back 2 days later and I was able to report that the connection now seemed stable but that the speed had not improved. She assured me it would increase within a few days.

The next day the internet started dropping out again and - you've guessed it - the speed did not improve.

I went on-line to log the fault (as this had at least seemed to prompt some reaction from BT with the phone problem) and noted that it had already been logged, presumably by the lady in India, and was showing as ongoing. I noted that the phone fault was showing as resolved, so I re-opened it, as it wasn't resolved! 

When we returned from a few days away over the bank holiday, we noticed that both faults (phone and broadband) were showing as resolved and there is now no option to re-open them! 

We are at a loss as to how to progress with this. If we have another phone engineer visit he will probably find nothing wrong again, unless the phone happens to cut out while he is here, and it appears to be impossible to get a broadband engineer's visit, despite the BT phone engineer saying we need one, to test everything on site.

Any help would be gratefully received. I hope I can post this ok - have lost the connection 3 times while typing it. No, make that 4 - it's just gone again!  

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 38

Re: Ongoing problems with BT Infinity connection and speed

Welcome to the forum JonDR....

In the absence (at the moment) of any of the more informed on here, as your broadband is dependant on a clear voice line, may I suggest you phone 17070 and choose option 2. This is the quiet line test, and as the name suggests, it should be quiet with NO crackles etc..... This is best done with a corded phone from the test socket..... If there is any noise on the line, then you will need to call 151 to report it without mentioning broadband. Until you get a clean voice line, then you will continue to have problems with your broadband.....

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Thank you - did the test, with cordless phone though as that's all we have. Full of crackles. We've already had the phone engineer out though, and he said everything with the line was perfect, with not a hint of anything wrong. There were no problems while he was here, of course! (Our phones are all brand new too, so don't think that is the problem.)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to three working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 38

Hi JonDR,

Welcome to the community forum. I'll be able to help you with your connection. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 38

Smiley HappyJonDR wrote:
Thank you - did the test, with cordless phone though as that's all we have. Full of crackles.

That would certainly explain why you are having problems with your broadband, and may well explain the problems you were having with Talk Talk. Now that the moderators are involved, I would suggest you contact them as described, as soon as possible, as I believe their link is only open for a limited time. Please note it can take a few days for them to reply, however they will take personal responsibility for this until the fault is rectified.......

Please keep us informed as to your progress........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 38

@shirts wrote:

Smiley Happy@JonDR wrote:
Thank you - did the test, with cordless phone though as that's all we have. Full of crackles.

That would certainly explain why you are having problems with your broadband, and may well explain the problems you were having with Talk Talk. Now that the moderators are involved, I would suggest you contact them as described, as soon as possible, as I believe their link is only open for a limited time. Please note it can take a few days for them to reply, however they will take personal responsibility for this until the fault is rectified.......

Please keep us informed as to your progress........

How can you state that when cordless phones may be affected by factors other than the physical connection.

You may well be right but it is not always wise to make assumptions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 38

@pippincp wrote:

How can you state that when cordless phones may be affected by factors other than the physical connection.

Correct..... as can corded phones.......however, having read numerous posts on this forum regarding "crackles on the phone line", the general consensus is that their is a fault somewhere on the line..........

Needless to say, normally I would have asked the OP to try another phone if possible, and of course ensure he/she was using the test socket, and to get more information regarding their home wiring,  but as the moderators have already offered their assistance in this matter, I felt it correct to leave it to the moderators. I am sure they are MORE than capable of eliminating the OP's home set-up as the cause of the problems.......

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Thanks to the swift intervention of the moderator, we now have an engineer's appointment for Monday 12.5.14, so let's see what happens next.

(Bizarrely, after this appointment was set up I came home to a message on our landline from BT customer services "Just giving you a call to check that your phone line is now working ok" ???)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

Here's an update:
The engineer arrived as planned, and almost immediately identified that there was a structural problem with the overhead cable leading from the telegraph pole to our house. The cable passes through some trees at high level and over time a branch has been rubbing away at the casing, exposing the wires inside. This is what has been causing our phone and internet to cut out over the last few months. He replaced the cable and since then we've had no problems with the connection; however, the internet speed is still extremely slow: 2.4 Mbps download and 0.7 Mbps upload. The engineer said our speed may pick up over time - if not, there would need to be some kind of re-set. In the meantime, our helpful moderator has been in contact and is to assist with this.
You may well wonder why our 2 previous engineer visits had not identified the obvious problem with the cable, and why they reported that our phone line was perfect. So do we!
0 Ratings