cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianebaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Only 1 LAN connection at 1Gbs

I noticed recently that my desktop PC was connecting to my HH5 at only 100mbs rather than 1gbs. On further investigaion I discovered that if I unplug my YouView/TV/PVR (which connect to a single LAN port on the HH via a switch), my PC connects at 1gbs again. But as soon as I plug the other cable back in, my PC disconnects from the HH and reconnects at 100mbs. The other connection is 1gbs. I've tried swapping ports on the HH, the order I unplug and re-plug things in and out and it seems to make no difference: the TV/YouView/PVR combo always connect at 1gbs and the PC at 100mbs.

So, why is this? Can the HH only support a single 1gbs connection, and the others have to 100mbs? And if so, how do I make that the PC rather than the TV?

I have a BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 | Last updated 30/06/17.

Thanks for any thoughts!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Only 1 LAN connection at 1Gbs

The Hub 5 is supposed to have 4 x 1Gb ports, all I can think of is either the latest firmware is causing this or something to do with the switch you are using.  Do you get the same problem if you connect both the PC and the YouView etc directly to the hub bypassing the switch altogether?

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

This might be an ethernet cabling issue causing link speed autonegotiation to fail. All ports should support 1Gb/s according to this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Home-Hub-5-LAN-ports-1-Gigabit/td-p/1617173

0 Ratings
ianebaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Liam, that's a good call.

I'm not able to (easily) try that at the moment, but I have plugged an old laptop directly into the HH and both that and the PC connect at 1gbs. So it may well be an issue with the switch.

For the moment, though, I have the PC at 1gbs and the Youview etc at 100mbs, which is (given they won't both connect at 1gbs) what I prefer. So I will follow the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and not touch anything...

0 Ratings