cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Only achieving 60% of estimated download speed.

I have had BT Infinity now for about 6 weeks.  During the first week or two I was connected at roughly 65Mb download speed, I have noticed that things dont seem to be as fast as they were initially and now my profile settings are:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 38.74 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is - 43.08 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.72Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

When I ordered Ininity it suggested the speed would be about 72.4Mb download and 20.0 upload. If I look at the checker it still says the same values.

Based on the above download speeds, looking at my initial download speed and my current download speed I only achieved around 90% of the download estimate for my fastest download and now I am only achieving 60% if the estimated download speed.

Does this indicate a problem with the line, I do know when it was first installed the engineers couldnt get a dial tone and after numerous attempts was informed it was a bad crimp.

Can anyone advise if there is any way I can get the download speed up to the full estimated potential of the line.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Only achieving 60% of estimated download speed.

There are a few things you can test for yourself.

Quite line test. Use a direct plugin phone.  Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test), and listen.  If you can hear any significant noise/crackling, there is somethings wrong with the line.  Contact BT (telephone not broadband) and report a noisey line.  When that is fixed, it may help the broadband as well.

Line check: use the tests at https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

Check your internal wiring.  One possibility is an extension (or alarm, or SkyTV) wired from a junction box between the incoming telephone feed and the master socket.

If none of those shows anything up, you will probably need to contact service. BT helpline: 0800 111 4567 OR try the mods at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 .  But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

More likely a problem with BT's estimate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 15

somniac:  I know you have had speed issues, maybe still not solved, so I don't what to knock what you are saying.  However, on a positive note, it's good to see that these issues are sometimes solved:  http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Infinity-went-from-80mb-to-20mb-Worse-than-my-old-8MB-connect...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 15

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

sjtp
My speed issues were never really solved despite the mods best efforts.
It was estimated at 39 and has settled at 19mps.
Eventually I was asked what I wanted to do about it. I took this to mean put up with it or not as we can't do anything else to improve it.
I decided to live with it as it is still faster than most people get.

The problem for me has always been the marketing and promises rather than the need for speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

I guess the issue is that estimated speeds are achievable, but, often enough fr it to be an issue, not without a competent engineer tracing the cabling from cab to premises and making sure everything is 100% as it should be - and, unfortunately, Openreach (whose purview that would fall under) is unwilling to sanction that level of work until a hellish problem arises.

It might even be worth them punting a "blueprinting" service for an hourly fee, for those folk who want to extract the max from their connection, which is refundable if it's shown that things are actually not as they should be and faults are found.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Thank you for all of your posts, I have checked my line and cannot hear any noise from the quiet line test.

I have raised a ticket with the mods to see if they have any idea what can be done.

It does sound a very similar story to others that are posting the same and loosing about 20-25mb of download speed after it is installed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Well the BT Openreach Boost Engineer came out last week.  He completed a check of the install and noticed that incorrect old BT Master Back Box was still in place.  He advised that it had the old style capaciter in that isnt fully compatible with Infinity.  He replaced the Master Back Box and said he requested a reset on the line and the removal of the DLM.

All connected back up and still only connecting at 44.5mb.

He advised that he doesnt understand how I ever got the speeds that I did once Infinity was installed.

He then advised that he is going to complete some checks at the Cab and went off, had a call back from him 30 minutes later saying all looks ok at the cab and there is nothing more he can do.

I dont know where this leaves me now, surly a profile reset should have reverted the Infinity back to exacly as it was when it was first installed, if it was reset why did it only return to 45mb and not 65mb.

Not a happy bunny only achieving 45mb for a line that is estimated at 72mb is very poor, that has proven to be able to connect at around the 60-65mb mark.

Does any one have a view as to what my options are, is there any way to find out if the profile was actually reset or simply if the DLM was taken out and then put back in.

Lastly I have heard something about a process call Power Cut Back which is used to reduce the power on the line reducing cross talk, but potentially also reducing the maximum sync speed is there any way I can see if this has occured and if it has can it be reversed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 15

@robsonalan wrote:

Well the BT Openreach Boost Engineer came out last week.  He completed a check of the install and noticed that incorrect old BT Master Back Box was still in place.  He advised that it had the old style capaciter in that isnt fully compatible with Infinity.  He replaced the Master Back Box and said he requested a reset on the line and the removal of the DLM.

All connected back up and still only connecting at 44.5mb.

He advised that he doesnt understand how I ever got the speeds that I did once Infinity was installed.

He then advised that he is going to complete some checks at the Cab and went off, had a call back from him 30 minutes later saying all looks ok at the cab and there is nothing more he can do.

I dont know where this leaves me now, surly a profile reset should have reverted the Infinity back to exacly as it was when it was first installed, if it was reset why did it only return to 45mb and not 65mb.

Not a happy bunny only achieving 45mb for a line that is estimated at 72mb is very poor, that has proven to be able to connect at around the 60-65mb mark.

Does any one have a view as to what my options are, is there any way to find out if the profile was actually reset or simply if the DLM was taken out and then put back in.

An Indication would be if your IP profile changed, or simply ask BT though I was lied to about the reset of my line + dlm being reset. As I couldn't see my IP profile for 2 months I believed this until the 4th engineer told me this wasn't the case.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings