cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonny_1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Only been with BT 7 days and want to leave already.

Anyone else counting the days to the end of their contract?

Teach me to read the terms and conditions properly. I was made redundant this year so to save money I switched from Talk Talk to BT thinking the deal on offer was good, also I was fed up with Talk Talk calling me all the time even though my preferences were for no marketing calls. Welll BT is now costing me more and with download limits I have less freedom to use the net how and when I want to use it. Talk Talk are a pain in the rear end but they offer great value for money compared to this lot of sharks.

Only 18 months to go, anyone else out there been tucked up by the Sunshine Deals and regretting joining rip off BT? 

8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Only been with BT 7 days and want to leave already.

HI welcome to the forums these are customer to customer self help forums the only BT presence here are the forum moderators I have to say the prices for the summer deal packages are very clear I honestly cannot see how you could not see the charges due to be made
0 Ratings
quasimodem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I agree with you 100% jonny. I too, am counting down the days until my 18 month contract is up.  Smiley Sad

BT customer service is the biggest joke I have ever encountered.  Having to constantly speak to Asians who can hardly speak English is a real bummer as far as I'm concerned. 

BT prices are also a total disgrace. There is nothing worse than having to check the useage meter daily to make sure you don't go over the monthly limit.

I fully intend going back to O2 unlimited Broadband once my 18 month BT sentence is up!  Great O2 customer service and it's a damned sight cheaper as well. I'm also going to change my phone over as well so I don't have to pay rip-off BT a penny.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@quasimodem wrote:

I agree with you 100% jonny. I too, am counting down the days until my 18 month contract is up.  Smiley Sad

BT customer service is the biggest joke I have ever encountered.  Having to constantly speak to Asians who can hardly speak English is a real bummer as far as I'm concerned. 

BT prices are also a total disgrace. There is nothing worse than having to check the useage meter daily to make sure you don't go over the monthly limit.

I fully intend going back to O2 unlimited Broadband once my 18 month BT sentence is up!  Great O2 customer service and it's a damned sight cheaper as well. I'm also going to change my phone over as well so I don't have to pay rip-off BT a penny.

If the other ISP is as you state "cheaper and better", what made you migrate to Bt may I ask?

Useage is quite clear in the bundles/packages, you can upgrade any time during your contract, and you will probably find BT offer you a reduced contract rate when the current contract runs out.

There was a time on [the previous beta forum] here, when the mere mention of another ISP would have meant almost instant edit: the T&C's are quite clear, the boundaries and prices clearly set.

I'm very happy with my anytime call package, and option 3, the latter £10pcm - others have it even cheaper.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
jonny_1
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

OK this is how it goes, I know I have been dumb, in fact this is not the fault of BT it is my fault, I have been stupid and I have fallen for a clever trick played by the corporate man, aka The Devil Smiley Mad I shall explain.

"Our own research (January 2011) shows that the majority of people don’t know how much they download each month - putting themselves at risk of being throttled or having excess download charges added to their broadband bill."

Source - www.broadbandchoices.co.uk

The clever BT marketing people know this, marketing is all about research and to win in the horrible greedy corporate world they have to know their potential customers, they have to know about weakness in order to find an opening so they can exploit this weakness for profit and gain. The above quote is gold to a marketing man, especially a BT marketing man.

My weakness was (is) that I had always been on unlimited broadband, always, ever since broadband was first invented I have been on unlimited so I have never had to even think about how much I use..... doh! Amazingly I am someone who is often called on by friends because he is computer savvy.........arrgh! Obviously not, I am actually really dumb, oh yes. The BT marketing people have made me see that.  

So I join up on the Sunshine Deal thinking that at £16 a month plus line rental I will be no worse off than on Talk Talk but I will be free from their incessant marketing calls and I will be with a brand I can trust. I will have a great welcome package (3 free months) and I will stay with them for good. I don't want to keep chopping and changing, I just want the best service at the best price and then leave me alone and I will be loyal.

First mistake... no idea that I would use 10gb in the first week... yes the first week! (I really need to stop using the iPlayer and I must get my son some counselling for his Minecraft addiction). Fair play to BT they emailed me to let me know I was going over the limit. Instantly I work out that at this rate our normal life is suddenly going to cost at least £56 per month compared to Talk Talk at £27.00 - Oh poop, the penny dropped, my stupidity has been well and truly exploited by The Man and some fat BT suit in the City of London as dining out on my hard earned redundancy money. These marketing campaigns are a bit like a trawler net sweeping up unsuspecting dumb asses like me. They don’t care if we leave after 18 months, it boosts the figures over a tricky period and keeps the share price up and they will find another way of exploiting weakness to top up revenue next time. We are not people to them we are simply a revenue stream. I am one of thousands who didn’t have a clue how much data they use until they were swept up into the BT Sunshine Deal only to be taught a long hard lesson, an 18 month long hard lesson. I suppose it is an educational service so they are providing something to the dumb masses.

So yeah! I call BT and I get onto the 40 GB package at £18 and I pay the extra £4.75 or whatever it is for the ‘Anytime’ calls making my monthly outlay £22.75 + rental or so, only £ 4 or 5 per month more than TT but with fewer benefits. Amazing they are not providing ‘Anytime’ calls with the 40 GB broadband yet you get it with the 10gb, this is the big catch nobody sees and this is the part of the scheme that provides the real exploitative winner for BT. Within a week I have gone from thinking I would be paying nothing for three months then £16 a month + rental for the rest of the term to paying much more, for less. The mean cruel final knife in the ribs from the soulless suits was I lost the welcome deal I got originally and they would not give me the welcome deal offered to people who signed up for the 40 GB deal in the first place (£7.50 per month for the first three months) mean and stingy to the max. Oh how they must be laughing in their Bentleys as I fall on my sword. To cap it all we have to pay extra for my wife to call her sister in Greece which was included in the Talk Talk package.

I wonder if perhaps having to deal with the Talk Talk sales and marketing people on a weekly basis was worth it after all.... No! OK that’s taking it too far Smiley Very Happy let’s be sensible here, nothing would get me to go back to some poor Indian girl trying to convince me that paying more for less is a good idea..... er... opps!

Rip off Britain just continues to get worse and worse and our utility companies are leading the way and getting away with it, after all we let them as we have no choice because we are stupid. Keep on taking it lying down folks, it's what we do best.

0 Ratings
jonny_1
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Poor forum that doesn't let you delete a post............................. 

0 Ratings
quasimodem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

@jonny_1 wrote:

Poor forum that doesn't let you delete a post............................. 

Smiley Very Happy    BT are already working on that one. £5 per delete seems fair and reasonable!  

0 Ratings
quasimodem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

quote:  If the other ISP is as you state "cheaper and better", what made you migrate to Bt may I ask?

As the OP has already mentioned, you fall for BT's sharp marketing practice and by the time you realise it, it's too late....you're stuck on an 18 month contract. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
jonny_1
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

It looks like the price hikes may be a blessing, every cloud has a silver lining.

See Money Saving Expert on how to leave early without paying the fees. Nice one.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2011/08/escape-bt-contracts--beat-price-hikes

I have also posted ths in the 'Bills' section of the forum.

0 Ratings