cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Open Cellular Networks.

Firstly, a good post from AQ and Pottyperson yesterday.

It's good to see informal posts. By chance we had just returned from a good chippy just over the border in Marton.

You don't need a passport to cross the border near Chatburn yet!

I'm new, hence cautious in using the full CL features in these early stages.

Just by chance I came across an article on the BBC technology pages re facebook planning to use Open Cellular Network access. (note: I don't use facebook.)

This fits in with a passing comment which originated from someone in USA.

It seems that there are devices which can be used to connect to any network to gain up to 3G/4G access for mobile phones.

At first it sounded far fetched, but apparently providers are opening up their services. e.g. At & t, Verizon etc.

Sounds interesting, and apparently there's some involvement with ipv6.

Wonder if anyone has any information on this?

Vin

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Open Cellular Networks.

I don't know about open networks, but I thought Ofcom was doing something to force more sharing within the UK, though there's no sign of it. The nonsense was highlighted in Italy recently. My provider (Tesco) has anticipated the April 2017 EU rules (which may or may not continue after the other recent nonsense) allowing free use of mobile deals in member countries and a couple of others. They seem to have arrangements with numerous European providers, meaning that a decent signal was available almost anywhere within reason. What a joy that would be in the UK for those of us who spend a chuck of time away from base.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Open Cellular Networks.

@pottyperson wrote:

I don't know about open networks, but I thought Ofcom was doing something to force more sharing within the UK, though there's no sign of it. The nonsense was highlighted in Italy recently. My provider (Tesco) has anticipated the April 2017 EU rules (which may or may not continue after the other recent nonsense) allowing free use of mobile deals in member countries and a couple of others. They seem to have arrangements with numerous European providers, meaning that a decent signal was available almost anywhere within reason. What a joy that would be in the UK for those of us who spend a chuck of time away from base.

Yes, when I was with Orange, working and travelling thro Europe, there was much more flexibility.

Voice only of course in those days.

0 Ratings