cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 36

OpenRG Rebooting HH4

Does anyone know what OpenRG is? I have had this happen before. My connection in general is stable and fast and does stay on for weeks. But it may randomly reboot - It happened today whilst on my PS3 I got an error then something about DNS etc etc. then ethernet not connected about x4 in a row.

I waited a few minutes for it to settle, went to the event log to see this OpenRG again. The only time my internet goes off is because of this.

I use the supplied Openreach modem and HH4 router. My install was done by a BT engineer and not a contractor, I'm on Infinity2. I'm confused on what is causing this - Faulty line from the pole, dry joints, the green box or perhaps somewhere in the exchange.  

Anyway I hope someone can clarify as I'm confused and annoyed and amused. Smiley Very HappyOpenRG

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 36

Re: OpenRG Rebooting HH4

I'm sorry I'm bumping my own thread but it happened again. I got disconnected. I went on the event log to see OpenRG (Exactly the same as the above picture) I'm mystified by this odd occurrence. I do hope someone can help. I hope it's nothing to do with my line as that means I have to talk to someone on the phone and I find it difficult to talk to people because of my social anxiety.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 36

I googled OpenRG and it came up with a shed load of info, could start there, but I have never seen it, but there again, I don't us BT Retails's equipment.

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 36

I found someone reply to a guy in the Digital Spy forum about OpenRG rebooting - This is just a copy and paste of what he said. 

"It could perhaps be due to a SW update on the MSAN at the exchange which required all connected modems to reboot, so they would have used openRG to send the reboot request."

It's weird that these recent OpenRG reboot requests all started in January 2014. It looks to be happening on both the HH4 and HH5. I don't know if that fella I quoted from is correct but it seems more definitive than what I've seen thus far.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 6 of 36

What the hell is going on with this OpenRG thing, my Hub5 has rebooted 3 times in 4 hours because of this, if it keeps going on DLM will decide enough is enough and start to slow me down and that isnt really fair because it will be due to BT's faffing around and not a problem with my line.

0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 36

I really wish I knew. It looks to be something on the BT side of stuff possibly software in the exchange. I should consider myself lucky as it happened only twice yesterday you seem to be getting it more frequent than me so I hope it stops altogether for you.

I am just really puzzled as it has happened before in the beginning of January (I think 6th)and up until yesterday it was fine so mine doesn't happen a lot. Funny thing is anything OpenRG related to BT all have happened in January. Coincidence?

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 8 of 36

Well a test firmware file has been pushed to my hub so it could be related to that, but mine only just started in the last couple of days.

Maybe they are upgrading the network or something.

0 Ratings
19nbg71
Expert
Message 9 of 36

try reseting your hubs..mine went funny after a firmware upgrade,and a reset of the hub worked for me 🙂

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 10 of 36

The firmware hasn't been applied yet, its still on the previous version which was working fine until yesterday. I have power cycled the hub, if it keeps doing it then I'll factory reset.

0 Ratings