cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjstokes85
Contributor
Message 131 of 161

Re: OpenRG Strikes Back.

This problem is driving me mad, every 2 weeks without fail my infinity does the open RG reboot thing. Is there anything I can do? Should I ring BT? I assume they know all about this?
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 132 of 161

BT know but dont expect a fix anytime soon as BT say there is no issue with the HH5. 

The easy option is to use a non-bt all in one such as Fritzbox or Draytek but their serious pennies.

Or use an openreach modem and the HH5 as just a router.

{Downside Extra plug socked is need but everything "just works"  including the tv-box thing}

I use an openreach modem and it does solve the OpenRG / Updates or what other mischief the HH5 gets up to. 🙂

0 Ratings
mjstokes85
Contributor
Message 133 of 161

So if I use the White modem and the hh5 as just a router it will stop the rebooting, the bt engineer left me a modem when I had it installed in January, he said the hh5 was useless and encouraged me to use th modem and I assume this is why, I just thought it can't be that bad but he must have been referring to this issue. Can you confirm 100% using the White modem and the hh5 as just a router it stops this? Thanks.
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 134 of 161

As long as the lines not faultly then the white openreach modems are excellent and they do stop the disconnects.

The issue is with the modem part of the HH5 it seems , so using the HH5 as just a router allows the updates but crucially doesn't disconnnect /lose sync.

Your lucky as you've got a modem spare I had to get one myself , after the good advice on this board earlier this year.

Carn't thank   ray_dorset ,pippincp ,gg30340 & john46 plus the other posters who pointer me in the direction of the fix as the line has been great ever since using the openreach modem(s). 🙂

0 Ratings
mjstokes85
Contributor
Message 135 of 161

Thanks Barry. I have 2 white modems! One from my old house and one from the engineer. I also have an old HH3 b Rev from old house, and a HH3 a Rev that the BT engineer gave me before my 5 arrived in the post! Maybe I
should set up my own shop!
0 Ratings
mjstokes85
Contributor
Message 136 of 161

Can I ask what you mean when you say "as long as the lines not faulty", wouldn't a faulty line be faulty whether or not the modem was being used anyway?
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 137 of 161

On mine line for example " the line was reporting back as perfect" to quote the engineer.

The HH5 was disconnecting itself every day with openrg reboots ect which caused the FTTC dynamic line management (dlm) to think the line was faultly when it was not. 

Replaced the HH5 with a openreach modem after the other posters recommended it and the disconnects stopped. 

The connection has been great since. 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 138 of 161

@Barry57 wrote:

As long as the lines not faultly then the white openreach modems are excellent and they do stop the disconnects.

The issue is with the modem part of the HH5 it seems , so using the HH5 as just a router allows the updates but crucially doesn't disconnnect /lose sync.

Your lucky as you've got a modem spare I had to get one myself , after the good advice on this board earlier this year.

Carn't thank   ray_dorset ,pippincp ,gg30340 & john46 plus the other posters who pointer me in the direction of the fix as the line has been great ever since using the openreach modem(s). 🙂

I don't think it's the modem at fault or indeed the router side. IMHO it's a firmware issue but without a copy of it to disect and troubleshoot...

When the HH5 works, it works well for a cheapo ISP supplied unit (and they are cheap for the ISP!).

You do know that access to the line stats wasn't going to be allowed with it.  That's my only claim to fame with that unit as I specifically asked for it for assistance on this form for troubleshooting purposes.

Is that why it's in troubleshooting/helpdesk...

0 Ratings
xwrt
Contributor
Message 139 of 161

BT Engineer said the same thing when he was round fixing a  issue with the street pcp cab. 

He was saying they rarely had any trouble with the white modems but the HH5 was another story. He also thought  the hh5 has some software issues as pippincp says.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 140 of 161

BT HH5 team should listened to more to  pippincp ! { you've help me plenty of times }

Least openreach did a better job with the modems 🙂

0 Ratings