cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MARKJE60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command - causing DLM nightmare!

Go to solution

I would really appreciate some help and advice. I have a BT HH4 and live in a small Devon village with copper ADSL. I have had intermittent connection problems and had an engineer call out a month ago when I realised I was getting consistently slower speed than my neighbours either side (both with different ISP). The enginer fitted a new plate did various line test and advised there were no problems found and that that I was getting approx 3.4Mbps to the box. He advised there was reasonably low noise on the line and he asked for  DLM reset. Following the visit and DLM banding reset, I got , for a few days, download speeds of between 2.5-2.8 Mbps which was faster than anything previously obtained. Unfortunately 4 days later the speed dropped by approx 1MBps and the download speed apeared capped at 1.5Mbps. I was advised that DLM was in operation. After approx 6 days DLM lifted the speed by 500 Kbps to (approx 2.3 Mbps download) where it remained until the 4 December. On 4 December DLM dropped the speed again.

Looking at the HH4 log it s clear now that DLM is responding to HH4 resets. MY FRUSTRATION is the HH4 resets and consequent DLM banding appear to be due to the following--> OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command.   To be clear, ALL of the resets I am getting are like this;

13:03:47, 04 Dec. (1211276.690000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
13:03:47, 04 Dec. (1211276.690000) OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command
13:03:42, 04 Dec. (1211271.690000) OpenRG will go down for reboot in 5 seconds

Please help me here but looking at the forum my understanding is that these are software requested resets and are not related to line quality.  Does this therefore mean that I will be forever stuck with a line speed approx 1Mbps slower than an Openreach engineer thought reasonable because of HH4 and BT as an ISP?  My next door neighbour meanwhile with a different ISP and equipment enjoys download speeds in the range 2.0Mbps - 2.6Mbps with  very rare DLM castration (storms and power cuts aside). Do I ditch BT and the HH4, is there any alternative to what feels like useless and repetitive advice that , "you will just have to be patient and wait for DLM to reset" Finally, the HH4 was reset at the time of the engineer but has not stopped, the nightmare of remote reserts and DLM banding. 

Any advise, apart from wait for DLM to reset back will be welcomed (history appears to show DLM will keep dropping banding unti it is around 1.5Mbps max, despite low noise and speed to HH of approx 3.4Mbps).

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
zeevagirl
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command - causing DLM nightmare!

Go to solution

I am probably telling your things you already know but DLM is Dynamic Line Management (or DLM) is the collective term for the automated system that logs information about your line's performance, and processes that are used to stabilise the line. DLM uses the information it gathers about disconnections and reconnections as well as error statistics to establish what speeds are likely to be most stable for your particular line

You can call BT to have the speed set manually increased to a slightly higher speed they can do this.... however I really wouldn't bother calling into BT to ask to have this done, even if you persuade the advisor to do this (which will take some doing), while DLM is running it will automatically be set to whatever DLM decides it should be. BT do not have a choice over this.

It is a permanent feature of the Openreach network and will identify and work on any lines that drift out of tolerance. This can, in some cases, work in your favour if your physical line quality improves - for example, after you repair any internal wiring faults, but can also cause a slightly upsetting experience which is unfortunately what you have here.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help, best luck

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@zeevagirl

@zeevagirl wrote:

I am probably telling your things you already know but DLM is Dynamic Line Management (or DLM) is the collective term for the automated system that logs information about your line's performance, and processes that are used to stabilise the line. DLM uses the information it gathers about disconnections and reconnections as well as error statistics to establish what speeds are likely to be most stable for your particular line

You can call BT to have the speed set manually increased to a slightly higher speed    not strictly correct you can have a noise margin reset or on ADSL MAX an IP profile reset

they can do this.... however I really wouldn't bother calling into BT to ask to have this done, even if you persuade the advisor to do this (which will take some doing), while DLM is running it will automatically be set to whatever DLM decides it should be. BT do not have a choice over this.  The DLM runs continuosly on all lines

It is a permanent feature of the Openreach network and will identify and work on any lines that drift out of tolerance. This can, in some cases, work in your favour if your physical line quality improves - for example, after you repair any internal wiring faults, but can also cause a slightly upsetting experience which is unfortunately what you have here.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help, best luck

0 Ratings
MARKJE60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you both for comments, unfortunately I am still unclear what is causing the "OpenRG - reboot by IPC command" resets. I unsterstand the resets are progressively causing DLM to increase the noise margin and hence cap my line speed. My questions is - what or who is causing the these "OpenRG - resets?" and can anyting be done about it?

much appreciated.

Mark

0 Ratings
MARKJE60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I found the following (see below) from Burkem5, it would appear that the message is a response to a line drop and not the cause of the line drop.

OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command
Options
‎04-02-2015 12:33 PM

Hi Guys

Its come to my attention that some people are seeing the above error in their hubs event log when they are losing connection.

I did some research and found a residential forum post on this. Full post here.

This only seems to affect the Home Hub 4 Home Hub 5 and the Business Hub 5.

One of the Mods spoke with the hub team and came back with the following message

Thanks for the continued patience. The hub team have provided me with an explanation about the OpenRG entries on the event log. OpenRG is the base firmware the Hub is built on. When you see this message on the Hub event log it is merely recording the event in time where your connection has dropped. Much like the LCP PPP message, OpenRG is not causing your connection to drop, but rather the message is the result of your connection dropping.

The drop in connection can be down to a network, line or even environment issue so we need to understand this so the root cause can be addressed. This is not an issue directly relating to the Home Hub.

The gist of this is that the error message is caused by a drop in connection, not the other way round.

If you see this error then you can treat this a s a standard dropping connection, and can contact us to have this resolved.

Hope this helps

Burkem5

MARKJE60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi John

Thank you for your previous comments. Since my last post, I have been monitoring the line and interestingly the noise margin is being steadily lowered, from 13.00dB downstream 4 December to

14:46:13, 16 Dec. ( 81.790000) DSL noise margin: 16.00 dB upstream, 12.40 dB downstream
14:46:13, 16 Dec. ( 81.520000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2208 Kbps downstream

to 

06:41:31, 20 Dec. (320174.140000) DSL noise margin: 17.00 dB upstream, 8.60 dB downstream
06:41:31, 20 Dec. (320174.070000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2752 Kbps downstream

Unfortunately the profile remains, since 4 December capped at 1.5Gbps max which is approx 1Gbps - 1.5Gbps  so no speed benefit and the profile remains consistently lower than my neighbours either side who are with Plusnet. As I had an engineer visit in November who gave all the internals a clean bill of health, fiited a new plate, said the line noise who o.k and increased the profile to 3Mbps (although DLM dropped it back gain in stages), I must conclude one of two things either there is an intermittent problem with my line (pole to property, which I suspect may be the case as the power company used the line as rigging when fitting new cables in the village (although openreach engineer said it was fine) or I am being rationed/penalised by being with BT. Several calls with assorted line checks over the last 3 weeks all resulted in me being told the line is fine, WOW! and they will not send an engineer again as I am getting my minimum guaranteed 500Kbps (or 750 Kbps dependent who I am talking to).  I have to conclude that the only option I have left is to switch to Plusnet as they might possibly either get an engineer to resolve a line fault or if there is no fault, allow me a 2.5Mbps-3.00Mbps profile. I am a bit sad about the conclusion as I have been with BT all my adult life, over 30 plus years but the difference between 1.5Mbps profile and 2.5Mbps is the difference between just acceptable internet access and SD streaming as opposed to no streaming and frequent time-outs on web-pages and I am desperate to get back some the lost speed. I think the shining light of customer service witin BT is people like you, the rest feels like a surreal nightmare.  Thanks again  

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Changing providers will not help your problem as PlusNet use the same Openreach network and engineers as used by BT and that goes for all other providers except virgin cable

BT do not ration broadband
0 Ratings
MARKJE60
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi John

Well as you have rightly said, I have a problem and BT appear not to want or be able to help. I am hoping  that a switch to another ISP will result in my line being plugged into a slightly diiferent socket in the exchange and a new IP profile. The new IP profile is unlikely to be slower than my existing one which is basically knocking my line speed by 40%-60% depending on contention and other factors.  Yes other ISP's such as Plusnet may have a slightly higher target noise ratios at 9db v 6db (so the DLM software execution is not exacty the same for all lines) but with my line this is  almost irrelevant. I am also hoping that if there  is a physical problem with the line and my profile ends up lower than my two next door neighbours, the new ISP will actually try and get Openreach to sort it,  Yes you are correct it would still be Openreach equipment and engineers but I am resigned to their indifference as a monopoly supplier, it is the double whammy of an indifferent ISP  (BT staff on this forum excepted) that I am trying to overcome. ------->  Afterall how else do i  solve the problem ? <-------

Mark

JackHammer20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I'm getting the exact same problem although it causes no long term effects(no speed drop), it's still incredibly frustrating. In the earlier hours of the morning my connection will drop, and concincidentally a few of my friends on the same exchange will have their connection drop minutes between and have it come back up again. This happens every few weeks.

The logs through the HH5 are as follows:

OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command

Just because it's 3am, doesn't mean you have any right to terminate my connection. So infuriating.

02:52:55, 30 Dec.	(1211158.320000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]
02:52:53, 30 Dec.	(1211156.420000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
02:52:53, 30 Dec.	(1211156.420000) OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command
02:52:48, 30 Dec.	(1211151.420000) OpenRG will go down for reboot in 5 seconds

Forgot to mention, I'm on Infinity, although this is a post in the Copper subforum, I just did a google search and it brought me here.

0 Ratings