cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 46

Re: Openreach address not correct so broadband order gets bounced.

How else is the cost of the maintenance and repair of the line that delivers your broadband signal expected to be paid if you don't pay line rental.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 46

I didn't explain myself very well then.  It's not really about cost.

I (and the original posted I think) just want a broadband service.  The requirements that the provider has to enable that broadband service should not be put upon the customer - yet they are.

Here's how I'd like it to work:

Customer: Go to providers site, enter house address, line number if one is installed already, select broadband - review latest offers etc., click to purchase.  Thats it!  I know this is not far different from how it is today but the execution of the next part is where it's very different.

Provider: Ensures working line previously available, if not installs one, then activate broadband (arranging and beating Openreach in to doing so as required).  If broadband selected cannot be provided (FTTC/FTTP Fibre, Std ADSL, etc.), apologies made to customer, refunds offered or choice of what can be provided instead.

Is this so hard for us to get a place where this is possible - without forcing a phone line requirement (1st) down our neck?

--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 46

@kinthos

Nobody (or barely anyone) actually wants a phone line these days.

How very wrong you are there are many parts of the UK that has very limited or no mobile phone signal also  a lot of people have preference to using a land line phone also people with assorted disabilities can have serious problems using mobile devices

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 46

OK keep the focus on the phone line - ignore the other valid points.  *sigh*

So, I appreciate some people need phone lines - so ignore my comment about who does and doesn't need/want one.

My point is that those that that want broadband - are forced to have a phone line as a requirement for the broadband.  Make that the providers responsibility - not the customers.

--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 46

You're getting hung up on the terminology, its a 'line' that is needed. It doesn't really matter what you call it and whether it has telephony capability or not. I agree it should be a one step process to order a 'line' to be used for whatever purpose, telephony only, telephony + broadband, broadband only.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 46

kinthos

How you would like it to work is exactly how it does work in 99% of cases.

The customer should just contact BT and request broadband package. This package includes a phone line which is necessary for the broadband signal to travel along.

If the customer does not presently have a phone line installed BT arrange for that to be done through Openreach and once that is done the broadband package is then activated or if the service that is requested is not available the customer does get an alternative package or refund.

In this instance something has obviously gone wrong with the process.

If it is a data base error that should be able to be resolved fairly easily and should have been by customer services.  It is not clear whether or not the OP has contacted customer services or if he is only trying to order online. Obviously if it is the online option "it" can not work out what the problem is and resolve it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 46

OK - it sounds like we are all saying roughly the same thing (from very different perspectives perhaps)!

Believe me, I'm not hung up on the terminology.  It's a broadband line to me.  To some, it's more I appreciate that, perhaps they need a phone for whatever - but to me it's just a method to deliver broadband.

Now if we can just get BT(or all providers) to own that requirement for the "line".  Rather than it being put on the customer - like this poster, I think we'll all be in a happier place and all hugging our HomeHubs again.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 46

You won't get me hugging a Home Hub!! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 46

After a 8 month battle to get a decent connection you would have.  Ok just me.  I'm ok with that!

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 46

Seems as though the 8-month battle was worth it. A 1ms ping reponse!!!!! Wow. 

0 Ratings