cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Openreach charging me for identifying and removing their own dangerous shoddy cables

I am renovating a property and there are some large dodgy looking cables flapping against what will be the kids bedroom windows and damaging the brickwork. My electrician  suggested that I contact BT (Openreach) and ask them if these cables are theirs and if they are redundant. So I do, and am told that it will cost me £198 just to get a guy out, stand in my back garden and look at these cables and tell me if they belong to BT/Openreach or not. Presumably then, it will also cost me money to get BT to remove or reroute their shoddy old cables that are nothing to do with me, but just damaging my property. 

We are not BT customers, in face we don’t even have a landline. Nor do we plan to. How can this be right?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Openreach charging me for identifying and removing their own dangerous shoddy cables

In case you haven't already been there, this is the link for Openreach damaged equipment: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellus.do

If it isn't a power cable, it's very likely to be Openreach.  Isn't it possible to follow the cables back to where they come from?

If you want the cables re-routed, you may have to pay.  But first, you might want to contact the wayleaves department to see why the cables are there in the first place.  Since the cables are there, then the chances are that a previous owner of the house agreed to a wayleave, either explicitly in writing, or implicitly by ordering a phone line.

0 Ratings
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Re: Openreach charging me for identifying and removing their own dangerous shoddy cables

Thanks for the reply, I will try and find the wayleaves department. We are pretty sure they are BT wires, we have yet to ascertain if they are still in use by our neighbours and it would be nice to know how much we are liable for their upkeep despite our own lack of BT/landline etc. They are swinging off the back of the house and look dangerous. We are end of terrace and the wires go into the ground down the side of our house. There are also two (at least) BT box things flush with the ground in the garden nearby to where these wires go into the ground, perhaps that is where the wires originate? The boxes have the BT logo and some numbers and letters on them. We will almost certainly need to move them at some stage as we need to do some essential work to the building, so at the very least we need someone to tell us what they are and if they can be moved. What I object to is that I am expected to fork out 200 quid just to get BT/Openreach to come and tell us what their stuff is doing on our property and how we can have them removed or rerouted. I am happy to send photos of these wires and boxes to somebody if it is just a matter of them not wanting to send people physically out to look. 

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Can you take a pic, they must be really heavy duty cables if they're damaging the brick work, or was that just an exaggeration?
0 Ratings
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Genuinely not an exaggeration. In fact our electrician had only seen those type of thick cables a couple of times before. The brickwork is sandstone so probably a bit more susceptible to damage from things being hacked into them. I will see if I can attach a picture, bear with me! 

0 Ratings
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

photo.JPG hard to see the damage here, but we have a fellow repointing and he can see the damage where the cable fixings are pulling down from the wall. (I'm not climbing any ladders!!) 

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Can't tell from that picture, you'll have to get a closer picture, also you said they lead to a box with numbers on it, can you get a picture of that?
0 Ratings
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

photo-3.JPGThis is in the middle of my lawn. There is another up against the side of my wall, and we will have to dig down about a foot for damp reasons at some stage. 

0 Ratings
Notacustomer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Can anybody advise?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Have you contacted Openreach at the link posted earlier
0 Ratings