cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Openreach should be abolished

I was under the impression that we were living in a free market economy, but apparently only Openreach can install a new phone line... and they don't half know it. Have been in our new house for two weeks so far - but no telephone line in sight! And the only people you can talk to are sitting somewhere in Bangalore... Where is someone who actually can answer questions and get something done? Nowhere by the looks of it. Argh!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Openreach should be abolished

Openreach owns all the telephone line infrastructure.  So whatever telephone company you go to, it's Openreach who does the install.

The exception to that would be a Virgin Media cabled connection.

I'm sure anybody else could install phone lines if they wanted to - provided that they have several billion pounds kicking around to actually build their own phone network from scratch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

The service providers as a group take the brunt of the consumers BT Openreach complaints, got to be good for BT.

Talking to an Openreach engineer I asked which was the best service provider, his reply was they are as bad as each other (which I understood as, as bad as Openreach makes them) and you might as well just choose on price and whether they have a UK call centre.

I think forcing BT to sell it off, would be a good start, got to be conflict of interests there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

I'm not sure selling off Openreach would help - they treat all the suppliers (including BT Retail) equally shabbily at the moment anyway.

What it needs are meaningful penalties on Openreach each time they fail to perform a job that they agreed to.  These could be passed on to the customers as compensation.

If Openreach became the worst loss-making division of BT Group, then someone at the top might do something about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

What is really interesting is the way that BT's "competitors" are just as willing as BT itself to protect the Openreach organisation. Trawling through various forums, it is clear my experience is not unique: Whatever the problem is you are just transferred to the Fault Handling call centre. Whoever you might have initially dealt with, as matter of apparent deliberate policy, every call or contact ends up being transferred or referred to the same place. They then refuse to transfer you to, or provide a contact name and number for, anyone who can actually do something about an issue.

What we need is a friendly whistleblower who can provide the names and numbers of, say, the top ten managers in Openreach. I am sure they would soon get cheesed off with calls from frustrated customers and might do something about Customer Service. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

No, what we need is more control over how business operates. Just look at the nonsenses that have infested, and still infest the financial sector and the legal profession now that the relaxations of regulation 20-odd years ago are bearing fruit. I know there's no chance of putting it right, so Joe Public just has to put up with it and squeal a bit.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 13

What's needed is for Openreach to be treated like your local electricty network supplier. That is they deal with all the network management, support and civil engineering on behalf of all electricity suppliers, but are contactable directly for faults, connections and the like.

For example my local electricity network supplier is SP energy networks. I could be with any electricity supplier (e.g. Eon, Npower) but I know if my supply fails it's SP networks that come out to deal with them and I contact them directly.

Openreach was basically spun off from BT engineering, but without any real structural reform, meaning no customer contact (as BT eng never needed it). Like it or not, openreach must realise that BT retail/sky/plusnet's "customers" are also their customers, as they are the ones booking fault appointments etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 13

@pottyperson wrote:

No, what we need is more control over how business operates. Just look at the nonsenses that have infested, and still infest the financial sector and the legal profession now that the relaxations of regulation 20-odd years ago are bearing fruit. I know there's no chance of putting it right, so Joe Public just has to put up with it and squeal a bit.

Whoah on that political high horse there. Lawyers and bankers have nothing to do with suppling you a telephone line.

Notice how telecoms are regulated by OFCOM, the last time I checked they were a government regulator....

Also, I don't believe 1993 was a massive year for deregulation, you might be thinking of BT's own privatisation 30 years ago, which when combined with competition has made things much better. The only issue is Openreach still being run as though it were an internal engineering department, rather than a customer facing organisation (which it is).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

"Whoah on that political high horse there. Lawyers and bankers have nothing to do with supplying you a telephone line."

Not true the Bankers, Lawyers and other beancounter types are the idiots that pull the strings and constrain the real workers from doing anything other than a really **bleep** job.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Notice how telecoms are regulated by OFCOM, the last time I checked they were a government regulator....

And just like most government regulators in this country, they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

0 Ratings