cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB
Expert
Message 1 of 36

Openreach where and when website

Can either a moderator or an expert explain the Openreach database. If I put in my postcode and then house number it says accepting orders (AO) for fibre. If I put in my phone number the pin has a question mark. I cannot order fibre.

I live within 500m of the exchange with (almost) maximum speed ADSL so it's not an issue with copper line length or quality. It seems unlikely that there are two cables to the distribution pole since it only serves four properties. It could be an exchange only line but why doesn't the full, down to house number, postcode checker show this?

This seems to me to be baffling.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Openreach where and when website

The postcode checker is not 100% accurate as a postcode can be served by one or more cabinets as well as EO lines so merely gives a generalised result.

The telephone number checker knows exactly how you are connected and what you are able to get.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 3 of 36

So what's the point of the postcode checker down to individual property address if it gives a meaningless answer?
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 36

Can you put your telephone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results (after removing your telephone number) ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

@ChrisB wrote:
So what's the point of the postcode checker down to individual property address if it gives a meaningless answer?

it does not give a meaningless answer just an approximate answer and is helpfull as a guide  for people moving home and nowadays internet connection is important - as long as you bear in mind that as it says the most accurate is phone number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 6 of 36

It is meaningless. Someone moving to this house would think they could get a fibre service and they can't at the moment. Quite rightly they'd be pretty disappointed if they based a decision about their choice of house on this checker. I understand down to postcode level but I'm talking about down to individual address level as being meaningless. I think Openreach should improve their checker or just leave it at postcode level.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

what do you get if you enter your phone number in the dslchecker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

A post code checker will give you a broad estimate of what is available in the general area. An address check will give you a narrower estimate of what is available for that address and a telephone check will give you the most accurate estimate of what the property will get.

Perhaps you know of a better way of supplying what may be available to a potential house purchaser if the property they want to purchase does not have a telephone line or would it be better just to say, No idea, take a guess.

EDIT: As regards your line I suspect it is an Exchange Only line. To confirm this you should do the check as suggested.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 9 of 36

Surely an address check should be accurate (an address only has a single phone line into it after all) and not just give "a narrower estimate". There is no point in doing this other than to give a false impression of the line's capabilities, perhaps this is what Openreach are deliberately doing.

My HH5 suggests the line actually runs at 19.8/1.1Mbps and I'm sure is exchange only currently.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

As has been pointed out, an address check should only be done if there is no BT phone line at the property. If there is no phone line, the address checker is only giving an estimate based on the average for the properties in that street. There is no way known to man that you could be given an accurate estimate to a property that does not have a phone line.  

0 Ratings