cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Option 2 speed slower than option 1

Hi, a few months ago I switched to up to 76Mb (option 2) shortly after I had a week without any Internet but since the repair my BB has been slower than the speed I had before the outage. I was on option 1 with a stable steady 37Mb plus connection after the weeks outage I updated to what it said would be an up to 64Mb connection sadly although I have gone to option 2 the speed has not increased at all it is still slower than the speed I had before the initial outage @ just over 30Mb.

Now BT have revised their speed to say the maximum available will be 39Mb yet I am only round the corner from the cabinet probably about 200 to 300 meters. Just what are BT playing at advertising a speed of 64Mb a few months ago to go drop the speed by 25Mb to a top speed just above the speed I got before the outage.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Option 2 speed slower than option 1

You need to see what your IP Profile is set to.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 5

The advertised speeds are an upto depending on your line distance to the cabinet and line quality, if your line is only capable of upto 39mb then you won't be able to get Infinity 2

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Use this checker to see what BT estimate what your line can get

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

then carry out a speed test and do the further diagnostics and post back all the results including the IP profile for both up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Call me a cynic but by revising the maximum speed downwards, BT are covering their ar**s and giving themselves more wriggle room.

Beats me how they can get away with saying for a line that by their own tools says should deliver say 56Mb DL, they dont see a problem until speeds lower than around 12Mb happens!

0 Ratings