Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Order an upgrade of infinity but now being offered only copper

Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help explain what’s gone wrong... I’ll try and keep this short.. been an ongoing issue!

Background....

i had bt infinity and speed tests were about 15mbs download.... Connected to a cabinet about 1.5 miles away... Then a new cabinet gets built at the top of my track (we live in rural Aberdeenshire), so about 50m away.  I phone Bt, after speaking to a Kelly communications engineer one day saying that he was connecting a new customer to the new cabinet, so that perhaps I could get my infinity from this cabinet, and therefore getting much increased speeds.  Bt say yes that is possible and I should now get 78+. I’d have to start a new contract though, which would be the same price as I was already on the infinity package.

roll on 6 weeks and I’ve not got it.  Various promises of getting it done and returning my phone calls have resulted in broken promises and failure to connect me to the higher speeds.   I was told the process would be that I would get disconnected, within 5 day, and then wait for 2-3 weeks to get connected again to the higher speeds, so I get disconnected on the 16th of this month (order went in on the 9th October!), and a week later I phone to get an update, only to be told that I was if fact not able to get the infinity 78+ as there was no ports available and My options were to remain disconnected until a port came available or be reconnected, but the reconnection would be ‘copper’. So to be reconnected to copper meant my speed would drop to 5mbs!  Astonished, I asked why ??  Ive been told that that was the only thing available, even though, 5 days earlier I was on infinity and receiving 15mbs.

I really wish I hadn’t asked for the upgrade to the closer cabinet now.  I just don’t understand why I can’t go back on to the infinity that I was on. 

I could do do with the cabinet versus exchange thing explained...My understanding is that my phone line will come from the exchange to the cabinet, by either copper or fibre. And so my set up before the new cabinet was put in was that I was fibre from the exchange to the cabinet (the one about 1.5mi,we away) and then copper from there.  And once the new cabinet got put in I was then copper from the old cabinet to the new one 50 m away, but still fibre from the old to the exchange. (to add to this, a Bt engineer came out to test my home setup and line and confirmed that I was copper through the new cabinet, this was all done prior to being disconnected).  So I’m really now not sure as to why ‘copper’ is the only option available to me!

i should add that neighbours have managed to get 56+mbs through the new cabinet.

bit of war and piece and I’m sure it will throw up more questions than answers, but hopefully you kind people can shed some light on the situation and help me out.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Order an upgrade of infinity but now being offered only copper

Welcome to this user forum.

All BT Infinity connections apart from FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) are copper from the cabinet.

Unless this new cabinet is an infill cabinet, then you will be left connected to your existing cabinet.

See https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

"There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead? 

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another."

0 Ratings
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the reply Keith.  I’m happy with copper from the cabinet.  What I don’t understand is why my speed was 15mbs, before being disconnected, and now they are saying I can’t get that. Nothing has changed with routing of my line. Ie I’m still connected to my ‘existing’ cabinet.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

I’ve used that already, and it shows adsl up to 5mbs.  But that doesn’t help really, as if I put in my neighbours number, who is getting 56mbs with Bt , it shows exactly the same thing as me.  And clearly I was getting 15mbs through this same cabinet before being disconnected.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Its possible of course, that your neighbour has a much shorted run to the cabinet, and you might be right at the end of the cable.

Are you connected to exactly the same cabinet number?

Is the cabinet showing "Waiting List"

Can you please provide the results from that availability screen, for both your connection and your neighbour`s, remembering to remove any phone numbers before you post the results?

0 Ratings
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Myself and neighbour and connected to the same cabinet 100%, he is further from the cabinet.  I’’l post up the results if I can, do I need to use a hosting site like photo bucket?

0 Ratings
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

I cannot see those pictures.

Can you please upload them to your forum gallery, follow the instructions on this page?

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

If I cannot help, then other forum members may post later on.

0 Ratings
Gmac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Tried that Keith, the screen shot I took says that the file is too big to upload!

0 Ratings