cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Ordered Infinity 2 but got Infinity 1?

Hi all,

I had BT Infinity 2 installed a couple of days ago. However, at any time of day or night, I've yet to see the download speed go above that of Infinity 1 (38mbps). These are the same speeds that the engineer got at the time of installation. The test is being run from a high end pc (Cat5e Ethernet cable @1gb) with no other progs running using the Internet (even windows update etc are disabled). No wireless devices connected either. 

Any ideas!?

Here are my test results:

wholesaleBB.PNG

BBchecker.PNG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ordered Infinity 2 but got Infinity 1?

Looking at your upload I'd guess you are on Infinity 2.

Check you speed hre and after test hit Further Testing, put your telephone number in and if the upload shows maximum of 20Mbps you are on Infinity 2, if it shows 10Mbps you  are on Infinity 1:-

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Here are the results of the further test. If this is the max speed I'm going to get, should I not have just gone for Infinity 1? Or would I only get 60% of the max speed of that connection too...

furtherBBtest.PNG

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 8

It's really up to you but you could leave it a few days and see if it improves. Even if it does it doesn't look like you will get much more.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

You are on Infinity 2 as is evident by your up profile of 20Mbps. Infinity 1 is 10Mbps.

It looks as though you are within the range B of your estimate which would suggest that you are on an impacted line which means that you are unlikely to receive anything higher than the range B maximum.

If you are still within the ten day training period the speeds can fluctuate but should eventually level out at the best stable speed you can get which as I have said will be somewhere in the range B.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

@gg30340: Thanks for the input - do you think I would get about the same speed if I switched to Infinity 1? Or does it not work like that...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Yes you should get the same speeds.

The difference between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 is dependent on a good line. If for instance your line could support the max for Infinity 2 the only difference if you ordered Infinity 1 would be that the ISP would put a software cap on your line so that you could only get Infinity 1 speeds.

Because your line can only support the max for Infinity 1 that will mean that all you will get is Infinity 1 speeds even if you are on Infinity 2. If you down grade to Infinity 1 you should get the max speed for Infinity 1. Hope that makes sense.

Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for your help! That all makes sense.

0 Ratings