cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Outlook 7 on Windows 8.1 - Cannot Setup

Sorry to post what seems to be a reasonably frequent topic but after reading numerous posts and following them for account setup, I cannot get Outlook to work.

It fails when doing it automatically (searching for settings based on email address) so I am setting up manually.

I am setting up as pop3 using mai.btinternet.com, setting the sockets as 993 and 465 and SSL.

entering my logon as username@btinternet.com  (this is not the same as logon to MyBT. Should it be MyBT logon?)

I got errors saying that server rejected my login details to send and that it was interupted when recieving.

Is there something I should do different to get setup  and logged on?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Outlook 7 on Windows 8.1 - Cannot Setup

@cam_mac wrote:

Sorry to post what seems to be a reasonably frequent topic but after reading numerous posts and following them for account setup, I cannot get Outlook to work.

It fails when doing it automatically (searching for settings based on email address) so I am setting up manually.

I am setting up as pop3 using mail.btinternet.com, setting the sockets as 993995 and 465 and SSL. Requires authentication should be ticked in Outgoing (SMTP) section.

entering my logon as username@btinternet.com  (this is not the same as logon to MyBT. Should it be MyBT logon?)

No, it should be your email address.

I got errors saying that server rejected my login details to send and that it was interupted when recieving.

Is there something I should do different to get setup  and logged on?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, jusst checked account seetting. Mistakes in original email as highlighted. I have actually got as you corrected 995 and authentication is ticked. email is correct and servers are set as mail.btinternet.com. Sending is working, receiving is not. still getting the error message "the connection to the server was interupted"

Any ideas what might be causing that, guessing if send is working ok, then logon credentials are correct and valid.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Can you access your mail via webmail? https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

yes, can access webmail without issue. Send and receive via webmail is fine also.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

I suspect it is just a glitch with the mail server that will hopefully correct itself. However, there are a few things you could try. First you could try using IMAP instead of POP3. You will need to delete the account and set it up again as it is not possible to change from POP3 to IMAP on the fly. The IMAP port is 993. If that doesn't help, you could try setting the account up in either Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird to verify it isn't an Outlook problem. As a last resort, try changing your email password and see if that helps.

0 Ratings