cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Outlook e-mail password

I have been using outlook on a number of computers to gather my e-mails , since last Monday the 25th July, unless I have the password saved box ticked I cannot send e-mails. As I want to be secure I would prefer that my password was not saved. I normally get a request by the program for my password prior to sending e-mails which covers all the bases but now I get, a cannot connect to server error, so have to tick and save my password in the account setup routine for the thing to work any one else come across this problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Outlook e-mail password

mda, I have just tried it and it worked OK for me. 

What server are you trying to access ?

Can you give more details on the "cannot connect to server error".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi I'm on btinternet is that what you need? and the error is the standard error. I should also say that the BT desktop help repairs the problem by copying my password to the account settings

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

mda, I do not know what the standard error is. Is it 0x800ccc0f ? 
I assume that you can receive emails OK and this also asks for your password?

What version of Outlook are you using ?

How do you authenticate your outgong server

eg Use same settings as your incoming server or Log on using ...
Do you log on to your incoming mail server before sending mail ?

You have a better chance of getting some assistance if you give as much info as possible without giving any personal info.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Yes that's the error message, cannot connect to server, 0x800ccc0f.

I am using outlook 2003, SMTP authentication on outgoing server, I don't log on to out going before sending.

The problem only started 2 weeks ago, my settings have been the same on 3 different computers in various locations and all 3 came up with the same problem at roughly the same time which lead me to believe it was a problem with BT rather than 3 unconnected computers.

I have tried all combinations in the settings but the only way the program works is by having the password saved which is not what I had before nor wish to continue with for security reasons. Prior to this when logging on the program asked for my login password before downloading the e-mails and when sending the same splash screen popped up asking for my password.

When this first happened the desktop help from BT realised there was a problem and fixed it by saving my password!

I reinstalled outlook on 1 computer to see if the program had been corrupted but no difference, the only way the send e-mail works is by having my password saved in the setup.

I even set up a new e-mail address and yes same problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Hi mda,

I have the same problem with Outlook with the same error message, although mine is the other way round: for years I had my password saved and then all of a sudden the account seemed to lose it, both on my computer and my smartphone.

I spent quite a while on the phone with the helpdesk and used the online help.  All to no avail, still have to manually type in my password every time as it keeps losing it.  Also at the moment can't send from Outlook - don't know why.

Would be grateful for any suggestions - error message is Ox800CCCOF

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

@McTiss wrote:

Hi mda,

I have the same problem with Outlook with the same error message, although mine is the other way round: for years I had my password saved and then all of a sudden the account seemed to lose it, both on my computer and my smartphone.

I spent quite a while on the phone with the helpdesk and used the online help.  All to no avail, still have to manually type in my password every time as it keeps losing it.  Also at the moment can't send from Outlook - don't know why.

Would be grateful for any suggestions - error message is Ox800CCCOF

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you say what security/anri-virus package you are using (applies to mda as well) ? e.g. Norton, McAfee, AVG etc.

This problem can be typically caused by any of these and other products, perhaps because something called "Email scanning" is on for outgoing (and perhaps incoming) emails. This feature is not really needed and can be unticked from the relevant settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi both,

I use Avast anti virus but have had that for years, and cannot see why the password saved or unsaved would change that, but have done as you suggest and it doesn't work. The desktop help fixes it by saving my password allowing the e-mails to send but the next e-mail send fails until I go in and tick the save password box

I spent an hour on to BT India, to no avail last week, where the agent changed all the settings but could not solve the problem it does seem strange that we have 2 people with the exact opposite happening. I have always had the password saved box unticked allowing me to sign in to both send and receive and the other has always had the box ticked and now has what I want to happen be asked for my password when I sign in

I wonder if McTiss has tried the desktop help to fix their problem and did it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

I do not believe that the McTiss problem is related as it has been around for several years. A good reference for the solution to a password NOT being retained  is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684

This problem should really be raised as another thread.

0 Ratings