cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
extin
Message 1 of 9

Outlook settings

Hi,

I have recently joined BT Broadband. I have a personal email address - not the btinternet one. I was having problems sending emails (though I could receive them). Changing the SMTP server to "mail.btinternet.com" seems to have stopped me recieving emails as well. I made no other changes. It also keeps asking for a password for both my email address and btinternet server. Please could someone help? I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Outlook settings

The mail.btinternet.com smtp server is for BT Yahoo Mail.

Where do you get your email from? Gmail, Yahoo, Windows live, ect? ....

Cheers,
James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Deleted by poster.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

@extin wrote:

Hi,

I have recently joined BT Broadband. I have a personal email address - not the btinternet one. I was having problems sending emails (though I could receive them). Changing the SMTP server to "mail.btinternet.com" seems to have stopped me recieving emails as well. I made no other changes. It also keeps asking for a password for both my email address and btinternet server. Please could someone help? I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Receiving emails is fine for non BTinternet email addresses, and you should put back the pop3 server (if you altered it) to that you had previously set.

You may be getting failures on send and receive, since after altering in your mail client - it's likely that it tries to send emails first, but as these will fail - then the whole process fails including trying to receive emails. Usually there is an option to receive only.

Sending emails is different. Depending on your email address, you may be able to use the smtp server of the email address provider - or you can use mail.btinternet.com but you usually need to go through address verfication (see my shortcuts - link below - option 0e).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I've been told that I can sync my Outlook 2010 with my btinternet email if I use IMAP instead of POP. This would mean that both the Outlook and Btinternet email acccounts would be in sync whether I worked in either rather than importing emails into Outlook and then having to sort the incoming emails into folders. I've tried to do this through Outlook account settings but it appears that Btinternet doesn't work through IMAP. Is that correct?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

IMAP does work, they just don`t like to admit it.

If you look at the link below, it will show you the settings for Thunderbird. You can use the same settings for Outlook

Using Thunderbird e-mail client instead of Yahoo web mail - No adverts - Will allow you to backup yo...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Keith

Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately having followed the settings as shown for Thunderbird viz. imap.mail.yahoo.com / smtp.mail.yahoo.com to the letter, I still get 'General authentification failed. None of the authentification methods supported by your Imap server (if any) are supported on this computer.' 

Any further advice? Should I try later in case BT are having a wobble?

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 8 of 9

BT and all of Yahoo have a serious wobble!

Richard

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Now fixed.

0 Ratings