Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicebdon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Ownership of BT homehub

Go to solution

I have broadband problems and have been told that if the engineer finds that there is a fault with the hub I will have to pay the engineer's site visit fee (of over £120). Is this right? That suggests that the hub is mine, or at least my respnsibility but since it was provided by BT in the first place as an essential component of my broadband service I would have expected the hub to belong to BT. I accept that if I had done something like pour a cup of coffee over it, which I have not, BT might reasonably argue that I have not exercised the proper care of it. As it has just been sitting in a clean environment minding its own business for two years, I feel it is still BT's responsibility. What is the legal position please?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ownership of BT homehub

Go to solution

You get the Hub when you first take out the contract.  At the end of that contract the Hub is yours, to do with what you will.  So if it's broke then technically it's your kit that broke and not anyone else's responsibility.

That's how I ended up with 3 of the things in their boxes.

0 Ratings
vicebdon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks. I renewed my original twelve month contract 15 months ago with an 18 month contract but kept the original router. So - I still have three months to go of the current contract - but using a router that was transferred, with the agreement of BT, from a previous contract. From what you say, it suggests that the hub is still in BT's care.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I think you will find that as usual when the original contract expired ownership would pass over to you the account holder as normal.  You don't actually pay a separate monthly rental fee for the Hub.  Most devices like this will come with a 12 month warranty, some have more.  It would be unreasonable to expect the vendor to assume responsibility for a device indefinitely.  In any case third party modem/routers are vastly superior to the very basic Hub.  Best to buy your own.

Did you rule out a noisy phone line?

Dial 17070 option 2  should be silent.  If noisy report a line fault on 151 and don't mention broadband.

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi,

The Hub is your property - BT cover it under a 'warranty' for as long as you're in contract for broadband. If the person on the phone is suggesting that there is a problem with the hub then I'd ask them to run full diagnostics before booking a repair engineer (and to send you a replacement hub under your warranty if they're still suggesting it's potentially faulty).

The engineer charge of £129.99 is normally applied if Openreach find a problem within the boundary of your property. Some examples would be if a tree in your garden has fallen on the phone line, your internal wiring is damaged, or you have faulty kit (even if the kit was provided by BT).

BT should be able to do troubleshooting steps to rule out a faulty hub, so if they're seriously suggesting there is a problem with it (rather than just giving you a list of examples that could lead to the engineering visit charge) then I'd ask them to replace the hub for you before sending an engineer.

Good luck with getting it sorted!

Joe

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
What have you tried to eliminal your setup and/or your internal wiring as causing your problem?

Tried test socket with new filter

Quiet line test as suggested

Can you post stats from your hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
vicebdon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the implicit offer of technical analysis but I am trying to understand the legal position of the homehub owneship and therefore the liability if the hub is faulty.

But in answer to your question, all tests were done into base master socket in linebox after removing the faceplate (so that internal wiring was disconnected), three different filters were used and line quiet test is perfect. Have not got stats  from HH4 but symptoms are a never-ending cycle of orang light, flashing orange light, occasionally red broadband light flashing, blue light showing (but no broadband connections possible) and then back to orange light again. Occasionally the green light shows and it then goes off into the cycle again.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

If you are still in contract, insist that a replacement hub be sent. If out of contract, the problem is yours to solve, either buy a third party router or re-contract and get hub replaced.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

if a factory reset does not fix it then as long in fixed term contract then BT extend the warranty on your existing hub for the fixed term period and therefore you are entitled to get a replacement hub if existing one is faulty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MrT2
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
I’ve currently in discussions with BT regarding engineers charging and a Home hub fault. In essence if you are still under contract then get BT to either send you a new hub or agree that they will cover the cost of a faulty hub as you are in a contract before they come out. It will be fair easier to resolve at this stage.
0 Ratings