Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brookes95
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

P2P Cap

Hi everyone,

So I knew about the P2P cap but I was expecting to get more than 5.0KB/S

on my old provider (o2) I was getting upto 600. I've read that people on BT were getting around 200KB/S.

Does anyone know what times the resrictions are in place?

I use uTorrent.

Thanks in advance

Tom

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TankSlappa
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: P2P Cap

Yup, me too... Manages an average of 3KB/s over night, I can hardly wait to see how much more it is throttled come the "busy" time!

Just out of interest, were you one of the areas affected byt he outage, sorry, planned engineering work, on Monday. I was, even though Essex wasn't included in the list of area. I wonder if it is realted.

0 Ratings
brookes95
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

well it's 6:28 and I've just had speeds of 3525kb/sSmiley Surprised

So I think the work you mentioned may of been the cause.

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

the best speed ive ever had were 947kbps bot bad for a 5mb line 🙂

0 Ratings
tom129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I'm not sure if this is entirely true or not but I once read online that U torrent has an encryption setting of some kind, its supposably used to make your ISP think that your not using P2P by encrypting your traffic.

You activate it by doing the following on UTorrent

Options - Preferences -Bit torrent - Protocol encryption.....Then click enable!

As I'm currently with Sky Broadband and Have no problems with traffic shaping or any P2P cap for that matter.

Currently the only two Providers who don't throttle your P2P speeds are o2/be and SKY

You can read up on it here

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20181634-uTorrent-Protocol-Encryption

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@tom129 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is entirely true or not but I once read online that U torrent has an encryption setting of some kind, its supposably used to make your ISP think that your not using P2P by encrypting your traffic.

You activate it by doing the following on UTorrent

Options - Preferences -Bit torrent - Protocol encryption.....Then click enable!

As I'm currently with Sky Broadband and Have no problems with traffic shaping or any P2P cap for that matter.

Currently the only two Providers who don't throttle your P2P speeds are o2/be and SKY

You can read up on it here

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20181634-uTorrent-Protocol-Encryption

Encryption in utorrent is only a security feature and should be set to forced from the dropdown box. You should also tick the allow incoming legacy connections as well.

It does not hide the type of traffic from your ISP as it still uses the bit torrent protocol.

If you want to hide the protocol from your ISP you need a VPN connection. But then again, you'd have to pay for that!

0 Ratings
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

The server status page showed that “planned work………Hertfordshire area…….” From yesterday is now resolved so I’ve just rebooted the hub and my uTorrents upload speed has gone up from 120(ish) to over 600kB/s.

Coincidence ?????

Down speed is only in the 200’s at the mo’ but I’ve not a lot of seeders to work with for the files I’m after.

0 Ratings