cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy9l
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

P2P Throttling (Spotify)

After some streaming problems, I read that BT throttles Spotify - just wanted this confirmed? I know the phrase 'P2P' sounds alarms across the whole company, but Spotify is legal - I hope, I pay for it.

Not sure if this will help answer, but I'm using BT Infinity 40mbit, ~38mbit connection. I use the HH2 as a switch, and a real router for wireless. All Macs throughout the house, hence my kicking HH2 in the teeth by using a Netgear.

I assume it's in the smallprint that BT can throttle P2P connections? A huge portion of P2P is completely legal. I'm not too worried since I'm just with BT till Virgin make it to this area, it was nice being with them last year. The HH is probably one of the worst, most patronising, technological freebies I've ever received.

I can get Spotify working by turning off all 'offline playlists'. This stops the P2P connections, for now...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: P2P Throttling (Spotify)

Hi

I have no problem with Spotify (Free version).

I posted this http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Peak-usage-restrictions-for-infinity/m-p/299159/highlight/tru...

"I use Spotify all the time without any problems at all.

Now I wonder if it's because I am on Infinity option 1...... and BT Infinity Option 1 but traffic will not be managed.)"

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

0 Ratings
andy9l
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

You won't have a problem on the free one because it's never set to use the Spotify P2P network. You cannot have offline playlists on the free version - so no P2P.

@Keith, thanks for the link. So a lack of technical expertise on BT's part. Surprising? Naww...bless 'em!

0 Ratings
DeanM
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 6

Hi everyone,

We've noticed reports about some BT customers having problems with Spotify. This post is still our official stance however we're looking into the possibility that something might have inadvertantly changed. We'll keep you informed when we hear more about it.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@andy9l wrote:

You won't have a problem on the free one because it's never set to use the Spotify P2P network. You cannot have offline playlists on the free version - so no P2P.

@Keith, thanks for the link. So a lack of technical expertise on BT's part. Surprising? Naww...bless 'em!

Hi Andy.... Thanks for that explanation. Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings