Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fasteddy
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

P2P throttling

Hello

I am very dissapointed with BT

I was on the 16mg unlimited package and had p2p downloads speeds of around 1.2mbs and upload (seeding) speed of around 10% of that which i considered pretty slow so decided to upgrade to infinity 76 meg package only to discover that they trottle speeds at certian times.

as i understand it , they throttle P2P weekdays between the times of 5pm to 12pm and weekends 9am to 12pm

O.k so this i could live with , but thats not it, they are throttling my speeds all the time (24 7), i get intervals where i get speeds of around 5.6mbs every now and again for very short periods.

i have watched the 20gb torrent over the last few nights and days , restarted the app many time, download from http at full speed while P2P is still slow, nothing changes 24 hours around the clock.

WHY ?

The first part of the torrent download the first 5gb in a few hours at most. the last 3 days trying to get the other 15 gb is rediculos.

i am also discrased in the fact i was not made aware of this at the time i upgraded, since this was the only fact i upgraded and at and extra 16pcm find it hard to swallow + the fact on the lesser package my speeds where in actual fact faster for P2P

When i swap to BTwifi-with-FON Iget speeds of around 500kib/s so i know there trottling my connection

i want to know WHY ???

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: P2P throttling

If you are a new infinity customer then BT do not throttle your connection for p2p. try the glasnot test. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php. And yhis will confirm one way or another

maybe it is just exchange congestion.  Are you using wifi or ethernet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
fasteddy
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

i have run the test a few times the other day.

also i bet to differ

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/panretail/terms/pdfs/Traffic_Management.pdf

i want to know why im been trottled.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

There is no date on that. BT Did manage p2p at peak times but that clause was removed from contract T&C after feb 2013

What does the results of glasnost show?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

That document also only refers to Business Broadband not residential services
0 Ratings
fasteddy
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

connected-ethernet.png

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

we asked you to run the glasnost test that is the only check that will show if your connection is throttled
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You also need to run btspeedtester diagnostic test and post the results

0 Ratings