Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 82

Re: PACKETLOSS BT ISSUE!!

@het_uk wrote:

Just curious here but if there's packet loss at hop 3, why not at all the others after that hop?  Surely if the router at hop 3 was dropping packets they wouldn't get any further and therefore you'd be forgiven if you expect that no packets would ever get to the routers past that one!?

Anyone answer that?  Doesn't make sense really does it??  The only answer is that ICMP responses are being dropped from that router, but we can clearly see that it is forwarding ICMP to routers that it is routing traffic towards.  Therefore it's more likely that the router at hop 3 isn't actually dropping any packets destined for other hosts, just what its own CPU is processing.

Sorry to pick on this post but it is just a good example.

I don't know enough about it, but just guessing here. Presumably packet loss is just a function of packets send compared to packets recieved therefore routers downstream of the faulty router will only recieve a % of the traffic but will have no knowledge of what it is expected to recieve and will just report its own figure. I.e if the router at hop 4 is only recieving 70% packets from router 3 but doesn't drop any of those packets it will report 0% packet loss.

0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 62 of 82

http://tinypic.com/r/2w2qyow/8 my tracepath to blizzard .

iv been told by a guy here from bt to send him a msg i did an its been over 3 days an no reply ... very professional BT .....

this is getting out of hand an very anoying .

websites slowing down .. sites such as facebook,youtube etc struggle to load anything . i get high % packetloss on teamspeak . an other games .

i feel like we r all complaining about this issue an BT arnt doing anything . its been 2 weeks for me now. iv spoken to BT on the phone . iv spoken to them on the forums an still nothing . please get this issue solved BT . its not OUR END ..its clearly somthing wrong with the BT servers/hubs or whatever you call them for them to be loosing packetloss on servers .

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 63 of 82

the mods take 3/5 working days to reply personally and then they have to wait for the network team to reply back to the mods
0 Ratings
KDJ
Beginner
Message 64 of 82

I'm having this problem since 3 days ago.

Some website don't load properly. It is really annoying

when this problem will be solved?

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 65 of 82

@wush786 wrote:

i feel like we r all complaining about this issue an BT arnt doing anything . its been 2 weeks for me now. iv spoken to BT on the phone . iv spoken to them on the forums an still nothing . please get this issue solved BT . its not OUR END ..its clearly somthing wrong with the BT servers/hubs or whatever you call them for them to be loosing packetloss on servers .

This is not correct.  There may be 2, 3 or 4 transit providers between you and the server you're trying to reach.  Only one of those providers will be BT, therefore it's not entirely accurate to state that it's categorically BT's issue.

It's like saying there's something wrong with the TV because the channel goes off.  It could be the TV, the antenna, the transmitter, the broadcasting channel, the company sending the feed, the camera filming the feed, etc...

Not all of that would be the BBC's issue though, would it?!

0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 66 of 82

so explain why only bt User's r having the issue?... my friend bottom of the road is on sky has no issues . but the neighbour next to him on BT has the issue .

people on forums such as blizzard forums etc  are on BT having this packetloss issue's .. all im seeing is BT users having issue no other UK providers r having the same problem ...makes no sence to me either but when im speaking to neighbours an testing there connections the ones who arnt on BT seem to be fine .

an going by ur example . i know its not my modem . as iv just resieved a new 1 by bt . its not my sockets as iv had engineer test my line an its not the other end which sends my speeds according again to the engineer. so theres somthing wrong in the middle that is control'd by BT . not me . so again it still comes down to BT .

if iv misunderstood anything please tell me ..

as this is getting just stupid now 2 weeks of this issue an it hits hard around 8 o clock time . clears up around 11 o clock at night onwards . but begins around 5 ..... sometimes it follows the same pattern an other times its random .. i just want this issue solved . 

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 67 of 82

The image you posted shows nothing relating to packet loss at all.

The reason for the pings to disappear at or after hop 11 could be for a hundred reasons...

1] The router could be blackholing traffic to 195.12.232.102

2] The router advertising the route to 195.12.232.102 could be blackholing traffic

3] The router may not have a route to 195.12.232.102 due to its neighbours not advertising a route to that host or subnet

4] The router advertising the route to 195.12.232.102 could be blocking all ICMP traffic

I'm just saying that although it may (in your view) point to BT wholly, it's not that clear-cut.  Your neighbours may use a different ISP, and their ISP in-turn may use different transit providers.  We are all aware that Level3 has consistent issues.  Maybe Sky don't send traffic over Level3 links.

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 68 of 82

@lowei wrote:
Yeh could be rate limited on that hop or congestion you think?

Could be, but highly unlikely.  More likely the CPU is just too busy to respond to ICMP at the time.

0 Ratings
rcolbyuk
Beginner
Message 69 of 82

The kids and wife have reported no issues with the internet this evening and been browsing and steaming fine for the first time in days this evening, maybe they are making some progress on fixing the issue or looking at the amount of faults in other areas this evening is it just a lot of people are offline!

Lets see how the weekend goes!

thanks 

Rich

0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 70 of 82

see in early afternoon its fine works fine . but from 5 o clock on wards its unuseable . i have to refresh this page 5 times at least for it to show anything .. now b4 you think mayb its so many people online at once this time .. i live in mid wales an on this exchange theres only 200-400 homes an not every1 here use's the internet . as where i live isnt even a town or city . its in the sticks .. 

iv been with bt for over 5 years an iv never had this issue before . i just hope they find it an sort it . as iv replyed to the BT guy through email ^

0 Ratings