Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
themiller5
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

PC not connecting to the Internet

I had BT Infinity installed a few days ago and I'm very happy with the service so far.

However when I turned on my main PC this morning it failed to connect to the Internet. My computer runs on Windows 7. It is connected by a long Ethernet cable to the Hub, Under the Network and sharing center it shows that the computer is connected to the Hub but not to the Internet, I went to bthomehub.home and it shows that the computer is connected to the hub, all three lights glow blue on the Hub and I'm able to connect to the Internet fine wirelessly on my laptop. BT Vision is also connected via Ethernet cable to my hub and that's working with Iplayer. The computer has worked fine on the Internet until now.

I've tried restarting the computer, Restarting the hub, Plugging the Ethernet cable into different sockets on the back of the hub and turning the firewall off. It is still not connecting to the Internet.

Help would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: PC not connecting to the Internet

i would suggest to start with one further restart of your PC only
0 Ratings
Allsetuk
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I am having exactly the same issue, exactly, bt say it's a windows update that took place on 18th, and to reset, it's frustrating , our iPad works fine , pc won't connect 

Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

0 Ratings
themiller5
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

@Allsetuk wrote:

I am having exactly the same issue, exactly, bt say it's a windows update that took place on 18th, and to reset, it's frustrating , our iPad works fine , pc won't connect 

That would make sense because my computer stopped connecting to the Internet on the 19th (it's still not connecting). I've viewed my update history and the most recent updates I can see were installed on the 16th which was the day Infinity installed and the internet worked for two days after that.. Do you know the name of the update the caused the problem? For now i'll just uninstall all of the updates made on the 16th to test if one of those is causing the problem.

0 Ratings
themiller5
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Well I've removed updates which were installed on the 16th of August and restarted the computer is still not connecting to the internet. 😞

0 Ratings
Oakington_Mike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Had exactly the same this morning, one PC would not connect in exactly this way, all the other equipment I have was fine.

Tracked it down, eventually, to McAfee / BT Netprotect on that PC.  McAfee issued a bad update last night it seems.  Removed BT Netprotect and immediately was connected to the Internet again.  I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead - which is already on all the other PCs I run due to a long history of failures from BT Netprotect over time.  Shan't be going back to McAfee again I regret.

If you are running McAfee / BT Netprotect it might be worth trying to take this off, briefly at least, to see if that helps (note - disabling the various McAfee features didn't resolved the issue, only the uninstall).  Microsoft Security Essentials is frequently recommended by many on this forum as a viable alternative to BT Netprotect.

Best of luck.  Mike

0 Ratings
TheBandalog
Message 8 of 11

Have had the same on two occasions with BT broadband (not infinity) and a Homehub 2.  As Mike advises, uninstalling Netprotect cures it. If you then reinstall Netprotect the problem is no longer there.

Good luck!

Leo

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

This problem has been pinned down to be due to a McAfee update. See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40816

Note that the Microsoft update that was suspected can now be given a clean bill of health.

Note that while uninstalling and installing McAfee does fix the problem it is not the only way.

You may find it easier to do a system restore to before 18/08/2012.  Check that you have internet access and then update your McAfee to DAT 6089 and then reload your system.  You may have to re apply updates to other software. 

0 Ratings
Kerloch
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The problem now is that the McAfee website is down meaning that after BT NetProtect Plus has been uninstalled it is not possible to reinstall it.  BT technical support "hope" that the McAfee website will be back up and running in 24-48 hours but cannot guarantee this as it is "out of their hands".  Looks like McAfee are in meltdown.

What bugs me is that the McAfee fix for this problem was supposedly implemented several days ago but  NetProtect Plus was updated only a couple of hours ago on one of my laptops and a computer which was previously working OK lost it's internet connection as a result of the update.  Uninstalling NetProtect Plus restored the connection but now NetProtect Plus cannot be reinstalled as the McAfee website is down.  I guess this is one of those major reputation damaging events that every CEO fears, or at least should fear.  It is certainly generating a fair bit of adverse publicity for McAfee.

0 Ratings