Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vanishes
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

PC taking over

Go to solution

I have a problem with one PC on my Wireless network taking over all of the bandwidth.  As soon as it's switched on all other devices (laptops, phones, ipads etc) are reduced to a crawling connection or are disconnected altogether.  As soon as the PC is switched off everything returns to normal.  How can I stop this PC taking over everything?  All devices connect wirelessly through a Home Hub 3.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: PC taking over

Go to solution
Hi

Are you downloading anything on the pc ?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

moved to this board

have you tried changing the wireless in the hub from b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated

there is no facility in the HH3 to allocate bandwidth to a device.  have you checked for a virus which is using your machine as a server - constantly uploading

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Vanishes
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

It was a brand new machine bought on christmas day for my son.  As soon as he connected to the Router it took all the Bandwidth and has done so since then.  Are there any third party programs you could suggest that I might be able to use to throttle the connection to the PC?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

if it's a windows machine is it getting updates which might be quite large.  have you tried changing to b/g especially if you other machines are older and probably not 'n' rated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@Vanishes wrote:

It was a brand new machine bought on christmas day for my son.  As soon as he connected to the Router it took all the Bandwidth and has done so since then.  Are there any third party programs you could suggest that I might be able to use to throttle the connection to the PC?

I bet its a Windows 8 machine. There are some very large updates to Windows 8. I know because I "prepared" a Windows laptop for a friends Christmas present, and the dowloads took hours, even on a LAN connection.

You can try disabling automatic updated for a short while, and see if it helps. You can always re-enable them when nobody else needs the Internet.

Also make sure that IPv6 is unticked on the network settings, as that can generate a lot of extra local MDNS traffic.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

updates were my first thought as well Keith

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Connecting the computer directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, would reduce the loading on the wireless network, at least until all of the updates are completed.

0 Ratings
Vanishes
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

I've changed the settings to b/g.  I'll see how that goes and let you know.  Thank you very much for your quick responses.  Very much appreciated!

0 Ratings
Vanishes
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Yes, it's a Windows 8 machine and is updating a lot.  I'll switch off the auto update and change the Network Settings as suggested.  Sounds like that might be it.  Fingers crossed  🙂

0 Ratings