cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pebbleridge13
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

POOR Commentary on Verizon Indy Car coverage

Why OH Why can't we listen to the professional and knowledgeable and informed American commentary team when watching Indy Car????

The two guys on at the moment don't know any more than we can see watching the TV.

Please, Please bring back the americans, if not today, at least for the rest of the season.

I can't watch it like this, I#ll have to cancel my subscription, I would rather not watch it, it is just not the same!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: POOR Commentary on Verizon Indy Car coverage

Well watching the IndyCar Series Indycar highlights today (Road America) race and it does seem to be the host broadcasters commentary team (I think NBCSN). Looking at

http://d1b8ufspcmikd1.cloudfront.net/~/media/Files/Current-Schedule.pdf?vs=1&d=20160309T123724

there appears to be 3 USA/Canadian networks   ABC , NBCSN  & CNBC who share the live Indycar races so I suspect the commentary team will vary according to who the host Us/Canadian broadcaster is. 

0 Ratings
RobSmithS
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Just to bring you up to speed on this zulu17 the OP is referring to BT Sport's decision to use Keith Collantine and Ben Evans commentating in their own BT studio off tube on the whole race live Sunday instead of using the host broadcast feed as provided to them via their international/ESPN tv deal.

You can imagine that that would somewhat dampen the atmosphere having two commentators in a studio off monitor compared to leaving the coverage to the team actually at the track as provided and it could also wind people up by springing this idea upon the audience halfway through the season!

It was also left on the rerun Tues 11pm (but going on what you have written the one hour highlights must be sent to them separately as part of the international tv deal so had the US commentary team on it that you heard). Your research into the North American networks covering the race which you suspected was the reason isn't the answer but in fact what was (hopefully) just a one off experiment by BT in which they tried their own BT studio-based commentators (who can only see the same pictures off monitor that we the tv audience receive!). In my view the right balance is it is fine for them to summarize during the US ad breaks whilst keeping the live pictures on screen for us but not to ditch the hosts at track.

pebbleridge13
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi Rob,

I hope you are correct when you say you think it was a one off experiment (any idea how they would measure the results).

I agree that they should use the UK commentators whilst the americans are on an ad break, but not all the time.

Not sure why the thread has been marked as Solved, unless BT have read it and have agreed not to spoil any more races with a UK commentary.

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings