After several months of trouble free mail collection from my btinternet and from my one yahoo.co.uk a/c none of them are able to fetch my mail via POP3, failing on password/authentication. No changes my end though I might in desparation for whatever reason try and machine reboot.
I have used POP3 since, well years, but some will recall big problems at the beginning of the year, hence the (once again) comment.
IMAP on the same accounts is fine.
I suppose most have moved to IMAP. I don't like leaving my emails hanging around.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Well for many folk the Yahoo system (mis)handles the BT mail system.
Since posting my BT mail has succeeded but not yet my yahoo.co.uk - guessing a problem with their authentication servers. Wonder if they are being hacked again?
Mine is failing with this error:
"The STAT command did not succeed. Error getting message number and sizes. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error - Please try again later."
I haven't seen that one before.
I'm getting the server error and have done so off and on for months.
I'm getting the same issue around the STAT command.
I see it request the PASS then an OK Mail Server ready (JPOP server ready) and the STAT command sent and it hangs.
So either there is a mismatch on the number of emails etc that the server sees /corruption or a continuation of the long standing issues we have seen on POP3 that will right themselves.
I suspect they have made some changes overnight either on the Yahoo end or BT end.
Also now another one of my accounts now shows the My Yahoo webpage when i log in via the BT email link before I can go to the actual email box.
Rather points at Yahoo on this one I think.
Thanks for posting. I've had confirmation that this is being investigated at present. Once there are any updates we'll post here.
I managed to download emails earlier this morning, I first noticed the problem about 10am.
I had some Yahoo logins yesterday evening, in a sequence I haven't seen before, so I also suspect it's a Yahoo problem.