cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 28

POP3 failure (once again)

Go to solution

After several months of trouble free mail collection from my btinternet and from my one yahoo.co.uk a/c none of them are able to fetch my mail via POP3, failing on password/authentication.  No changes my end though I might in desparation for whatever reason try and machine reboot.

I have used POP3 since, well years, but some will recall big problems at the beginning of the year, hence the (once again) comment.

IMAP on the same accounts is fine.

Anyone else?

I suppose most have moved to IMAP.  I don't like leaving my emails hanging around.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 28

Re: POP3 failure (once again)

Go to solution
Yes, today I have POP3 problems. Cannot connect via smart phone or Outlook. Webmail OK, but for some reason I get directed to Yahoo
________
Nick

Netgear DGND3300v2
Windows XP Pro SP3
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Well for many folk the Yahoo system (mis)handles the BT mail system. 

Since posting my BT mail has succeeded but not yet my yahoo.co.uk - guessing a problem with their authentication servers.  Wonder if they are being hacked again?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

Same here.  Intermittent failures on both primary and secondary accounts.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution
Glad it's just not me....getting used to "issues" these days 😞
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution
Same here on just POP3 only on my prime and subaccounts as Webmail and IMAP work OK.

The other stange thing is if I access my prime account from the bt.com page via the email link then it firstly gives me a My Yahoo page and where i can select various options including my email.

The sub accounts don't give me this as they go straight to the usual BT Yahoo email page.

Also one sub account has an email in it that says a sucessful login was made to the account by an unknopwn device in the UK at 2:15 this morning but I actually logged in to that account at around 10:15 this morning so given the time differences between the UK and USA then this may explain that.

So have Yahoo updated their security login process and are BT playing catch...I know it my email clients will be the answer
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Mine is failing with this error:

"The STAT command did not succeed. Error getting message number and sizes. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error - Please try again later."

I haven't seen that one before.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

I'm getting the server error and have done so off and on for months.

I'm getting the same issue around the STAT command.

I see it request the PASS then an OK Mail Server ready (JPOP server ready) and the STAT command sent and it hangs.

So either there is a mismatch on the number of emails etc that the server sees /corruption or a continuation of the long standing issues we have seen on POP3 that will right themselves.

I suspect they have made some changes overnight either on the Yahoo end or BT end.

Also now another one of my accounts now shows the My Yahoo webpage when i log in via the BT email link before I can go to the actual email box.

Rather points at Yahoo on this one I think.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for posting. I've had confirmation that this is being investigated at present. Once there are any updates we'll post here.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

I managed to download emails earlier this morning, I first noticed the problem about 10am.

I had some Yahoo logins yesterday evening, in a sequence I haven't seen before, so I also suspect it's a Yahoo problem.

0 Ratings