cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: POP3 no longer marks emails as read - YAHOO change

Keith thanks but I do not want another e mail account, I want BT to return the service I am paying for back to how it was. If they had the courtesy to tell customers in advance it would help, but it seems customer care is a low prioity.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 20

Well after problems earlier today with outlook not connecting to server, I deleted and then re-entered all details for e mail account in outlook. It then downloaded the entire inbox from the web but everything that has downloaded is no longer shown in bold in web mail. Something strange is going on.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 20

@principia wrote:

Hi

Yahoo has changed their POP3 server - see https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending-and-receiving/Pop-access-no-longer-marks-messages-as-read-on-yah... - and no longer supports the previous behaviour. Yahoo's answer is "hard luck" we might change if we feel like it.

Thanks

Hi.

Thanks for finding that forum thread, which includes an interesting post from someone saying that downloading of spam was also stopped.

Unless that person is also a member of this forum, that indicates that the problem (spam folder download) highlighted in another thread is a Yahoo! change affecting ISP partners.

It seems like IMAP is probably going to be the best solution (and frankly is the solution) to the "mark as read" issue.

0 Ratings
Cappuccino24
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Having the same issue. I've been using Outlook with BT email for about 15 years and it has always marked emails as read when they have been downloaded, suddenly the last couple of weeks it hasn't. Just odd as it has never worked like this before.

0 Ratings
Cappuccino24
Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Ah sorry I've just seen the Yahoo thread above. Shame that they have changed this as it's just making things confusing when it has worked for such a long time. Have just voted anyway.

0 Ratings
tmpogeorge
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

This is all the more reason why BT should get those of us still on Yahoo onto the BT mail system.It is nonsensical for BT customers to be frustrated in this way and it is only one of the issues that I have with Yahoo mail not working as it used to. I am seriously considering whether I should stay with BT at the moment. 

Datchman
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

I entirely agree with landie57's view - this change just shows a **bleep**-minded lack of consideration by Yahoo/BT and is completely unnecessary - I too  "want BT to return the service I am paying for back to how it was. If they had the courtesy to tell customers in advance it would help, but it seems customer care is a low priority."

0 Ratings
DJG_Shef
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

I have found that Windows 10 Mail (the mail programme built in to Windows 10) syncs with mail on the web-based BT Yahoo page. This means when I mark as read or delete in Mail, it syncs this with the BT Yahoo server which will also show as read or deleted. Gmail doesn't seem able to do this however.

0 Ratings
tmpogeorge
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Is that becasue WIndows 10 mail sets up with IMAP and not POP3?

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

@DJG_Shef wrote:

I have found that Windows 10 Mail (the mail programme built in to Windows 10) syncs with mail on the web-based BT Yahoo page. This means when I mark as read or delete in Mail, it syncs this with the BT Yahoo server which will also show as read or deleted. Gmail doesn't seem able to do this however.

If you set gmail up manually and set it as an IMAP account and not a POP3 account it will sync across your devices.

0 Ratings