Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
principia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

POP3 no longer marks emails as read - YAHOO change

Hi

My BT mail account is serviced by Yahoo and I use both an Outlook POP3 client and an iPhone mail client. My POP3 and SMTP mail setup is pointed at the BT server addresses (mail.btinternet.com). Emails that are downloaded to my Outlook client are no longer marked as read on server. Now when I log in using the iPhone and web mail I can't tell what has been previously downloaded and hence seen by me on my PC and I'm faced with many "apparently" new emails which i have to plough through to get to new mail.

Yahoo has changed their POP3 server - see https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending-and-receiving/Pop-access-no-longer-marks-messages-as-read-on-yah... - and no longer supports the previous behaviour. Yahoo's answer is "hard luck" we might change if we feel like it.

Can the mods please address this with BT email team who, i assume have a service contract withYahoo, and get the previous functionality restored. My email is part of my paid-for BT Broadband account so I havea reasonable expectation of service!

Thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: POP3 no longer marks emails as read - YAHOO change

If you select the option not to leave a copy of the mail on the server in Outlook, you will not experience the problem.

0 Ratings
principia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Thank you for your suggestion. I have just tried this option. It results in all mail being deleted from the server when Outlook POP3 accesses the mailbox and no mail at all being visible in my iPhone email or in the BT Web mail pages. This is unfortunately even worse since i now have no emails whilst on the move if Outlook has already downloaded them. i have reverted to "not deleting" in my Outlook setup.

Can the mods please take this up with the BT email team as i requested in my first post.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

But that's the whole point of using POP3, download to a client and not leave messages on the server. The option to leave messages on the server is an add-on to the protocol, it was never designed to do that. If you want to operate mail from the server on multiple devices rather than locally, use IMAP.

0 Ratings
principia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Thank you for your reply. I know what the IETF RFCs specify for POP3 and have just re-read them. The BT email service provided by Yahoo has been arbitrarily changed to remove functionality that has been available for at least the last 5 years. Please read the linked thread and Yahoo's unaceptable response and which shows a complete disregard for customers.

I do not wish to be told to reconfigure my email. I want the previously available functionality to be reinstated and I want a response from BT. If that is not possible of forthcoming through this community site I will have to raise a ticket with BT support - with all the pain and poor response that that entails.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Hopefully one of the mods will pick this up, but on past experience with how the mail team operate, I wouldn't hold your breath for a speedy solution.

0 Ratings
principia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Thanks - my view too on the likelihood of success!

0 Ratings
nodroguk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

After years of having my Yahoo mail showing as read when downloaded to my PC/Outlook via POP3 I can't believe this function been removed. The issue has already been clearly stated - when I log on with my mobile I have no way of knowing what has already been read.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

I am having exactly the same problem, thank you for identifyingthe cause. I will raise this as a complaint. 

Bt put up broadband chagres and reduce what we get for our money, may be time for me to walk after 35+ yeasr as a loyal customer.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@landie57

Just use a different email service like Gmail.

If you wanted to keep your btinternet e-mail address, it would cost you £5 a month if you move to a different broadband provider.

0 Ratings