cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

PROBLEM CONNECTING HP PRINTER TO NEW BT HUB5

Moved home with my HP Wireless Printer C4700 and iMac Version 10.11.3 OS X El Capitan. on move new BT Home Hub 5 Infinity wireless router. HP Printer cannot find my wireless router SSID FAIL. Printer Network Name SSID still connected to old BT hub. How do I run the wireless network setup to configure my HP Printer? When I bought iMac, it connect with the HP Printer automatically, as part of setup.

I ran a Wireless Network Test Report from my HP Photosmart C4700 Printer the results as follows :
Wireless On PASS Wireless Working PASS Network Name (SSID) Found FAIL

At moment, borrowed USB cable so I can print. But need to return it.
As a lady in later years, I would very much appreciate step by step instruction on how to sort my problems out. Thanking you in anticipation. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: PROBLEM CONNECTING HP PRINTER TO NEW BT HUB5

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Hi imjolly, sorry for delay in reply, as I forgot to tick 'email me when someone replies'. I will take on board your suggestions and try them. Will let you know if works. I have been in touch with HP and they're not interested in helping, as my printer is no longer covered.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Hi john46, sorry for delay in reply, as I forgot to tick 'email me when someone replies'. Spoke to HP and they're were unable to help me as my printer is no longer covered by HP. Even when I offered to pay for their help. I have tried everything I could find on HP Help site. But not sure if I saw the link you have given me, so will try it. At moment only way I can use my printer is with USB cable, which belongs to a friend. When I look at Hub manager, the printer is not showing on listings. Thank you for your reply and will let you know if I get printer connected to hub.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Hi, just looked at link you suggested and its for Windows. My system is Apple iMac OS X El Capitan 10.11.4. so not able to use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

did you turn off smart setup and split the networks?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Hi I've turned off smart setup and when I've tried to split networks, I'm asked the wireless SSID to a new name - recommended to add 5GHz to exciting SSID so I know which is which. When I've doing this, I get a warning that my Hub is vunrable to hackers, which worries me. So not sure what to do next. Are these changes permanent? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Don't worry about making the hub vulnerable to hackers, all you are doing is changing the name of the wireless signal. The changes are permanent in as much as you can either leave them at the changed values or restore them back to default if you want to.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Hi licquorice, so you agree with imjolly that this is the way to sort out my printer connection problem? I'm always worried when I get messages warning of risks of being hacked. Still not sure that when I've followed imjolly and your suggestion, what to do next to connect my printer.

0 Ratings