cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmurphy14
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

PS3 Modern Warfare 2 Connection Problems

Hi all. Only recently had bt infinity 40mb, with the home hub 3.0, installed. It is great for downloading stuff and watching youtube videos etc, however my connection in Modern Warfare 2 for the ps3 is horrible. The game is nearly unplayable unless i am chosen as the host. My ps3 is connected wirelessly. There only seems to be a problem with this particular game as other games such as FIFA 11 and Black ops work fine online. My connection was always fine when i had my old 4mb internet so i am confused as to why there is such a problem with my new 40mb internet. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: PS3 Modern Warfare 2 Connection Problems

Hi,
I notice that you state that the game is nearly unplayerble unless you are the host.
Imo if it`s ok when you are the host then your connection must be ok as others would suffer when you host.
Sounds like there are some with bad connections that are hosting,meaning that the best or at least the most latency free players should host.?
If it was your connection causing the prob,it would be worse when you host imo.
0 Ratings
TurntableZ
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Yer Ironman is right for you to be the host you must have a good connection, otherwise the matchmaking server wouldnt make you the host.

Have you set up port forwarding for MW2? 

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

You could also try a ping test to the game server that you play on.
If your ping [latency] is above about 35,it is slightly too high,10-27 or so is ok.
But packet lose is more important than ping levels and should always be zero.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Slightly off point, I think there should be a thread about gaming or the option for people to turn on/off interleaving in my account.
0 Ratings
AmAtoL
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

It's probably something to do with the P2P nature of the game, I've never played it on Infinity so I couldn't say for sure.

Does Black Ops use the lobby systemm too ?

As a side note, I think the P2P throttling may  have an impact on server based games too (ie BC2) I find it gets noticeably better after 11 pm, could be placebo though.

Oh, and I've never payed it on PS3 either.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

It could be due to P2P,but unlikely as online gaming does not require much bandwidth and the upstream is the important one.
I have hosted lots of game servers and each client [player] only uses about 40kbps to stay online.
P2P uses more but not a lot,but big distances from the server can be a killer imo.

0 Ratings
dorgo
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

it could be the NAT setting on the ps3, watch this video it migh help.

youtube link

0 Ratings