Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
easy_rider
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Painfully low speed after "network upgrade"

Hi Guys,

Wondered if anyone can help.  I have already read about other users simular issues.

I moved to Bt Total Broadband from Plusnet 3 years ago when I joined BT.

Years with plusnet broadband at 2-4MB Download Speeds

Moved to BT Total Broadband, been Ok for last 3 years, settling at 8600Kbps . 

Network regrade carried out on 30th Nov.  2010  Initial sync at 16,800 Kbps

Have been stuck since fri 3rd Dec at  :-

Downstream3,072 Kbps
Upstream1,208 Kbps

All other settings seem ok.

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)30.2 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)26.0 dB / 11.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm

Approx 1.06km from exchange, as the crow flies.

Also notice an increase in the amount of noise on the line, when making voice calls.  Initially noticed the problem as no longer able to play online games on PS3 due to server constantly crashing.

Spoke to Indian Helpdesk Dec 4th.  Explained I work for BT,  and issue, have unplugged all other devices, plugged homehub into master socket, direct connection etc, bla bla bla, spent 30mins on phone.  Wasnt interested in anything i told him,  he told me his systems said my homehub was faulty.    

Recieved homehub 2.  Plugged in for 24 hours , phoned helpdesk explained I thought BRAS profile must be stuck or a line fault.  Spent 27mins on the phone answering the same questions I was asked on the 4th Dec .  I was then told his system told him I would have to wait 2 days before phoning again.

I have to say that this so far has been one of the worst support experiences I have yet recieved when dealing with a line fault.  Untrained staff who although helpfull do not have the knowledge or the systems access to deal with and address customers issues.  If I was not recieving free broadband I would be asking for a refund. 

Come on BT step up!!!!  I know you are better than this.  ( At least my team is anyway )

If anyone can assist or offer technical guidance it would be very much welcomed.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Painfully low speed after "network upgrade"

You have a lot of noise on your connection. Have you looked here

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Try a quite line test - 17070 option 2 - best done with a wired phone and you should hear nothing. When you do the quite line test use the test socket if you have one. This eliminates your wiring as being part of the problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

as Geoff93 said you have a noise problem so much so the exchange has put your connection in a banded profile to stabilise your line.

If after the quiet line test you can hear noise on your linee then you need to report a phone line fault and not a broadband fault.  Once BT fix the phone line then that will have a positive knock on to your broadband.

If you have been resetting the hub or disconnecting and reconnecting that will also be seen as a line problem.

you need to connect to the test socket and leave it 24/7

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
easy_rider
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi Guys,

I went to log a fault with the line on the web last night and was told I already had a fault open for the line, and couldnt open another one.

Having already done a quiet line test with my wireless phones in the test socket,  I am taking an old analog phone home tonight to do another quiet line test to be sure before phoning and insisting on an engineer attendance.  I do appreciate this could be a coincedence with the upgrade the other week, possibly the cold weather.

I will report back.  Once this issue is resolved I will be sending the Thread to my line of business account director as an illustration of how this particular line of business call logging system is just not working for customers.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

If there is noise on the line report it as a phone fault - don't mention broadband.
0 Ratings
easy_rider
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hiya,

Carried out a quietline test tonight on old analog phone.  Line quiet.  Had convinced myself there was a line fault. 

Have just checked my ADSL stats and recorded the following.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:11:21
Downstream10,759 Kbps
Upstream1,195 Kbps

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.2 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)26.0 dB / 11.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 11.9 dBm

Its strange that my Noise Margin (Down) has changed so massively.

Anybody got any ideas.

Anyway latency much improved and off course everything that goes along with that.

I will keep you updated.

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Something somewhere has changed and you may never know what it was. You may get lucky and see it go down further and your speed improve with it.
0 Ratings