cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Parental Controls Blocking Wikipedia Images

I know the title sounds bizarre, but that is what is happening in my household on multiple computers / mobile devices connected through my broadband.

We are trying to access the wikipedia page for Oxford Castle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Castle)

With Parental Controls on, if I Google "Oxford Castle" and then click the wikipedia link, the page loads, but none of the images display.

If I then go into Parental Controls and disable them, and restart my browser, the page works fine.

Re-enable Parental Controls again and the problem reappears.

On mobile devices disabling wifi also works as you're no longer using BT Broadband.

In Parental Controls I have 6 allowed websites, 0 blocked, and my settings were originally based on the lighter end of blocking (no **bleep** hate weapons drugs dating gambling).  Nothing about wikipedia anywhere - even adding it the Allowed Websites doesn't cause the images to load.  

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
DavidM
Message 2 of 8

Re: Parental Controls Blocking Wikipedia Images

Hi @davidfarquhar and welcome.

This sounds very odd. I've asked out parental controls guys for some guidance on this and they've asked if you have tried it with different browsers with PC on? Did you wait for 2-3 mins for the PC to switch off/on? We’ve looked at the names of the image files and they look perfectly fine. They can’t be from a non-BT DNS server as we can see them. Can you try a different browser and let me know if it makes any difference?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Tried it on Safari and Chrome on two different Mac computers one running Sierra one running Yosemite. Also in my wife's iPhone -that's where you can see turning off wi-fi and going via mobile network works

When you switch PC off you can see the page cached a couple of refreshes usually does the trick and it loads. Similar behaviour when you switch it on.

Logged a call with BT Chat yesterday it seemed to fix it but last night I noticed it might be down again but didn't get a chance to review properly
0 Ratings
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

OK, I was right in thinking that the issue is still there.  When I visit Wikipedia in Safari & Chrome, and search for a subject, the pictures are blank.  Example is shown below along with my current settings for parental controls

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 19.30.01.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 19.31.51.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 19.32.07.png

0 Ratings
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

In my current Safari browser session (the one used to take previous screenshots) I have now switched off Parental Controls.

Launched Chrome.  Visited www.poker.com to verify PC are off.  Visit Wikipedia, search for something new that I've never visited, and the images launch fine.  Close Chrome.

Back to Safari and re-enabled Parental Controls.

Relaunch Chrome.  Visited www.poker.com to verify PC is enabled - site is blocked. Visit Wikipedia, search for something new that I've never visited, and the images don't load.  Close Chrome.

I like to do A-B-A testing to really prove something, so back in Safari I've switched off parental controls

In Chrome poker.com now works, and images load fine.

Only thing I'm doing other than closing Chrome and relaunching is parental controls

Help..

0 Ratings
MrZipf2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

BT's Parental Guidance breaks DNS resolutions for sites that have nothing to do with restricted content and doesn't display any warning. In this thread, it's demonstrably broken across a range of browers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and platforms (Android, Linux, Windows 10, OS X 10) and it's broken because of DNS tampering.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-from-BT/Unreachable-sites/td-p/1694842

[ Any reason the moderators say nothing with this thread btw? ]

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

A moderator posted on message 2 on this thread
0 Ratings
MrZipf2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Not a whisper on the "Unreachable Sites" thread though. No acknowledgement, no prospect of flagging it to the team that owns the problem. It's still busted and surely not by design. Good luck for customers who know even less about networking.
0 Ratings