Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 1 of 46

Parental Controls / Custom Filters OFF Everything still blocked :(

Go to solution

Dear all,

I am having a nightmare at the moment with BT Parental Controls.

My current set up is a HH5 connected via a powerline adpator to a Netgear R7500, which serves as the WiFi provider for the whole house. The HH5 is only really used as an internet access point.

This set up was working fine, everything great.

About 2 weeks ago, on my TV, Netflix stopped working, and iPlayer, and Youtube. I thought the servers were down so left it a day. Then after trying the same websites on my PC the below BT page loaded

Capture1.JPG

This odd as I have never turned the Parental Controls on. I have tried to log in and turn them off through this screen but apparently the "account holder" needs to do this ...  I thought that was me?

I have since deleted them via myExtras in MyBT, reset the HH5 countless times but the problems remains.

The Custom Filters, which I cannot seem to access, are blocking EVERYTHING. I cannot go on any streaming websites, I cannot even go on Next.com ??!

Having phoned BT countless times, I am getting fobbed off and thrown around different departments. I am now awaiting a call from the Offline Team ...

Can anyone here help?

I want NO Parental Controls, I just want my internet working as it used to be.

Thanks all

Jamie

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 46

Re: Parental Controls / Custom Filters OFF Everything still blocked :(

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

You normally have to enable them first from MyBT, then it gives you the option to totally uninstall them. Simply disabling them will not work because DNS interception still takes place.

Then you need to reset the home hub, and flush any old DNS entries from any computers.

Try that first while you are waiting for help from a moderator, as they are very busy at the moment.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 3 of 46

Go to solution

Hi @spoonyjamie

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having with parental controls.  Can you send us over your details and we will help sort this out for you?  We're very busy at the moment so it will take us a few days to get back to you.  When you reach the top of our email queue one of the mods will give you a shout.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 4 of 46

Go to solution

Keith,

THank you for getting back so quickly.

I believe that this is the process I have already done; but am happy to try again.

These are the steps I took, can you let me know that this is right?

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 46

Go to solution

Yes, that is correct. As long as you restarted the home hub 5 afterwards, you should get a clean IP address.

If it still does not disable, and you have also disabled BT Protect, if it was active, then I would take up @RobbieMac offer of help. Its likely to take a few days, but should be sorted.

Meanwhile, itss worthwhile making sure that all your devices are set to get their IP address and DNS servers automatically, and the DNS settings are not set to different servers.

0 Ratings
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 6 of 46

Go to solution

In an uncharacteristic moment of frivolity, i have purchased a new router, TP Link 9980 (I think).

Reset the DNS Settings to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Cleared all the DNS Cache on my computer and everything is back to normal! Yippee.

I am still awaiting a phone call from BT, as their problem has now led me to purchase 3rd party hardware to make the problem go away; and one assumes that the problem still exists.

The nightmare seems to be over, albeit with some added expense.

Bye bye HH5, hello better browsing.

note to self. ANY issues with Broadband are better served by the BT forums.

0 Ratings
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 7 of 46

Go to solution

Nope ...

Looks like we are back to where we were again.

This is odd as it was working perfectly yesterday?

All of a sudden the BT splash page popped up referring the BT DNS Settings ... I thought I had changed all these to Google?

Any ideas?

Jamie

0 Ratings
v3burn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 46

Go to solution

Not wishing to Hijack the thread but  i have a similar problem with the Access controls, i put times in that i want restricted for all the devices but hey presto the Router forgets these and wipes everything! allowing full wifi control for the kids after bedtimes 😞

live chat next to useless, told them what i have tried and they dont listen and ask you to do it all again, we shouldnt have to purchase new equipment but i suppose that the only option, will certainly think twice before i resign back with BT, thier CS is appauling as you can hver get to a UK based operator.

good luck with your problem.

0 Ratings
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 9 of 46

Go to solution
UPDATE ---

So, after switching to the Google DNS, all seemed to be working but only for about 12 hours, after which, somehow BT seems to notice and then the internet stops working again.

Now, I have reverted back to the ISP supplied DNS settings and am back where I started, BT applying non requested Custom Filters which is making my Internet almost unusable.

I am awaiting a contact from one of the mods and will update the thread once this is resolved.

The nightmare continues
0 Ratings
spoonyjamie
Contributor
Message 10 of 46

Go to solution

@RobbieMac

Sorry to chase Robbie, but do you have an isea as to when my query may be next on the list? LiveChat and BT Customer Service is driving me to despair; and I really would like my internet to be working again.

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Ratings