cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Parental Controls not working AGAIN...!

I have them switched on but again now it does not seem to be working? I've blocked media streaming so no sites like you tube work at home but you can still access them even though I have it switched off. Happened last week then sorted itself out and now it's happening again.

Those guys on BT HELP via the phone are useless, really useless have no clue what I am talking about.

Is this a network\site problem error on the BT website?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Parental Controls not working AGAIN...!

Hi,

The problem with these sort of site blocking tools is that they are extremely easy to circumvent.  Use of 'TorBrowser' for example.  Or using a proxy site or even a neighbours guest wireless connection, like the BT Fon setup.  Virgin have apparently started this 'Home Hotspot' service as well.  If the login details are known then you basically can't stop access, short of confiscating devices at shutdown time.

You can control access to your own router easily enough, if it's a decent one, but the neighbours kit is a different story.

The only real way of controlling device access would be setting User accounts on each PC/Laptop and not allowing users to install their own software.  IE. Only the Administrator can install things.  Admittedly it requires a little knowledge and is likely not suitable for everyone in every scenario.  Probably not applicable to smart phones & tablets.  I wouldn't know as I have never had the need to try.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@L7S

Did you restart the home hub after turning them on, and also cleared any DNS cache on your computer?

If you do not do this, then your computer will be using cached DNS entries to access blocked sites, until the cached entry expires.

@Liam_ If you use BT FON or BT Wifi with the account holders login details, then BT Parental controls are also applied to that as well.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Keith, that's interesting about the Fon thing.  Big Brother and Blanket censorship.  Typical.

However the real issue is that the only really effective parental control is that which is exercised by the parent.  Software can never replace common sense.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

It worked again this morning and all ok but I restarted router just now and same again it's not working I can get onto any site!
Is this a router issue or BT server one?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I am testing from IPhone now not the PC.
0 Ratings