Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Password Rejected Sometimes

Hello

Im using W10 and Outlook 2016 and due to the recent hack i was advised to change my password.

I have done this but every now and then Outlook says my login password has been rejected.

It doesnt do it all the time but it does do it several times a day.

Outlook is set to check for email every 30 minutes and quite often on return to the pc it gives me this message.

This has only happened since the passsword change so whats going on ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Password Rejected Sometimes

It's the continuing problem that has been going on and off for years. Happening after the password change is coincidental, do not make any further changes, it will eventually right itself when they fix the dodgy mail server.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Ah ok thank you .... at least I know its not just me .
Any timescale here for the fix ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

You must be joking!!
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

LOL .... i thought that would be the case .

Thanks Again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

This has gone at regular intervals for at least the last 10 years.

First level support have never understood the issue and in some instaces the cure suggested was worse than the disease!

If you do contact them try to be passed to level two where they really try, and at least understand the issues that the user experiences.

It does resolve itself in a few days - usually, but don't hold your breath for any apologies.

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I totally agree that this has been going on for years and that there is no need to adjust your setting that were working perfectly well before This is proven when as correctly stated the problem that BT wholeheartedly and repeatedly deny they ever had, magically resolves itself.

I have read pages and pages of user forums on this subject and it is quite frankly amazing that BT have any customers left and despite the agro of changing my email addresses again, they will certainly be loosing another once my current contract naturally expires.

The stance of BT Customer Services and I use the term lightly is quite simply if the email account works when access via the web then the problem must be with your own 3rd party software such as MS Outlook.  When explained that the timeout and or repeated requests to re-enter user passwords etc has spread across 3 separate machines and only occurs on the BT email accounts falls on deaf ears.  Again it would not seem unreasonable to deduce that the problem is BT's end as at some point it resolves itself without any setting being altered.

The problem appears common to both POP3 and IMAP accounts so I would not recommend making any changes their either and stick with the system that best suits your use.

It beggars belief that this problem continues to frustrate so many people to date and appears to be ongoing.  MS Outlook must surely be the ultimate and most commonly used email software but BT never really seemed to have mastered it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

I agree this has been going on for years, but in the past 1-2 months it has got much worse. I can nearly always collect/view email via webmail and even my Android mobile, it seems to be a problem with Outlook.

Unbelievable BT cannot fix this. Many people are reporting this issue.

________
Nick

Netgear DGND3300v2
Windows XP Pro SP3
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

The problem seems to be persistent today and I cannot logon with Outlook 2016 on Windows 10.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Strangely im on Windows 10 and MS Outlook 2016 but mine seems fine today ???  Its all very odd !!

0 Ratings