cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nhallg
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Password issues

This really has become a days-long saga, so help is desperately needed!

I know my account was compromised - emails returned that I hadn't sent, etc. Eventually I couldnt log in, and got the change password screen. I did so, was able to use email for a while, then next time I logged in, had to repeat the process. I went through all the suggestions re. virus-check on all my devices. Nothing. I also had problems with the actual change password page, in that it would just shut-down or freeze at the 'finish' page - on both my computers! So now I can't even get into my emails for the short period before it is compromised again. One clue is that after the last change all worked fine until I tried to change the pw on a mobile, and got the message 'can't connect to server'. This happened on more than one mobile - wifi is working normally.

I've just tried resetting the pw from the 'forgotten' page. As soon as I click on 'finish', the page closes without any changes being made. I'm effectively locked-out of my emails.

I'm getting close to abandoning bt email and beginning the long process of contacting all my contacts via a new account, so any words of wisdom gratefully received.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
nhallg
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Password issues

Update. I can now log in, via the bt email website. But I'm sure that as soon as I try to add the new password on a mobile, it will become compromised again.

0 Ratings
nhallg
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I can also get into mail via Thunderbird, so the issue does seem to be narrowed down to mobile access. I have 3 mobiles on different networks (I work in remote areas!) and this happens on all of them - I try to log in, they say pw is incorrect, I try to change it to the new one and up comes 'Can't connect to server' or similar - at which point I also lose access on the PC.

0 Ratings
nhallg
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Sorry - forget all that. My new password is already compromised without going anywhere near a mobile. All ok till I tried to log in on a laptop - ie a different machine than the one the password was changed on. Dont know if that's relevant.

0 Ratings
nhallg
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

just in case anyone from bt ever looks at this, ive chatted with someone in india, who couldnt help. he transferred me to someone who could, or so he said. the number has now been ringing for nearly an hour, very busy at the moment etc. absolutely disgraceful service. if i was a potential new customer it would be different. sorry about lack of capitals - typing one-handed

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

Your account was probably hacked when Yahoo had its systems hacked about 18 months ago. Your email address and all your email contacts would have been harvested by the hackers. This means that they can send spam emails to your contacts anytime they wish without having to re-hack your account so changing your password will have no effect.

They will have spoofed your email address so that the emails appear to be coming from your account. This is to fool your contacts in to thinking the emails are from you and are safe to open. This is also why you will be finding undelivered messages in your inbox.

There is nothing you can do other than to stop using that email address and tell all your contacts to treat any emails from it as spam and to delete them.

You could then set up a sub-account on your BT account and use that.

Your account will not be repeatedly being compromised. As I have already said there is no need to do that. It will be BT's "security" system being over sensitive to your devices accessing the account.

When you change the password you are best to delete the account on your mobile devices and re-start the device then reset up the account on the device. I presume you have the devices set up with IMAP accounts so that your emails are synchronised across your devices. If not be aware that if you have them set up as POP3 accounts you may lose any emails already downloaded onto your device.

If that does not work I would try using your original email password before you changed it.

See links about spoofing email addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

See link for BT info.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/394​​​​11/&s_intcid=con_sab_L1:smileytongue:roblem%20with%20service...:smileytongue::smileytongue:

0 Ratings
nhallg
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

It does seem incredible that I have to abandon a 25 year old email account, but I agree that the problem sounds like over-sensitive security. I've since had a call from Mr India, who claims that in an hour it will all be sorted. We'll see.

0 Ratings